Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Baked





















I received the Tea at Fortnum and Mason cookbook from a friend in London, and it does not disappoint. This cake was so good! Pretty easy too. Here's the recipe....

Chocolate and Orange Marble Cake - serves about 10 
200g unsalted butter, softened
200g golden caster/berry sugar (used regular berry sugar)
3 large eggs
200g all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
Zest and juice of one large orange
45g cocoa powder, sifted

Icing:
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
35g unsalted butter, chopped

Preheat oven to 190c/375f. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin with parchment paper.
Use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and cream. Gradually add the eggs, then fold in the flour, baking powder, orange zest and juice using a large metal spoon.

















Put half the mixture in a separate bowl and fold in the cocoa. Drop a spoonful of each mixture, alternately, into the tin then run a skewer, or knife, through both to create swirls.





































Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out clean. Lift out of the tin and cool on a wire rack.







































Once the cake has completely cooled, decorate it. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl resting over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base doesn't touch the water. Once melted, stir them gently together. Drizzle the mixture over the cake and leave to set for about an hour. Store in an airtight container for up to four days. (I can promise you, it will never stick around for more than two days.)























Enjoy! If you try out this recipe, I'd love to hear about it.

Have a great day. Back soon!

24 comments:

the southern hostess said...

It's a work of art!

mise said...

That's the most exquisitely photographed recipe ever - the blue and orange make me yearn to start decorating my house all over again with ethereal zing.

Andrea Johnson said...

Wow, that looks delicious!

Robe said...

I feel like cake and a cuppa tea right now!

Callie Grayson said...

Baked! in a good way!!
mmm
xx
callie

c and d said...

you're killin' me!!! this looks amazing...

gbf... said...

how many pieces did you eat lovely!? I would have to say I would fight you for the very last crumb...looks delicious. Dayle

PaperFlora2 said...

I'm going to bake this, this weekend. I can almost smell it in the house now!

silverpebble said...

Oh that looks like serious fun to make! And eat of course.

Pooch Purple Reign said...

brilliant photos janice. you do rock!
im well, thx for asking. enjoying the space between what was and whats next. its interesting.
im off wheat for awhile so if i bake this i will use alternate flour. could be good
have a fun day
~laura xx

the chirpy bird said...

Holy heck that looks ridiculously good!
Why can't we live closer again?
x

christine, just bella said...

This looks and sounds amazing. and I love the little dish you have it displayed on too!

Tereasa Surratt said...

this is gorgeous!! i love your photography style. so very lovely- made my day :)

Pinecone Camp said...

Southern Hostess, orange and chocolate are a work of art! Yum.
Mise, I've been lurching towards orange and blue myself these days - a very happy colour combo.
Callie, sometimes I can be kind of "baked" in a bad way too. ;)
GBF, truth be told, I ate almost all of this one over 4 days.

Alena said...

Such gorgeous images. My mouth is watering :)

Janee Lookerse said...

That looks delicious!! I definitely need to pick up some of those ingredients when I go to the store later! Thanks for sharing!

xoxo
Janee
yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

Missing Goat said...

that would have made me so much better yesterday!!

tossingtheswissaround said...

That cake looks divine! Thanks for posting - will definitely try it. :)

Monique said...

This seriously looks delicious, perhaps I'll bake this up for my book club ladies as they are meeting at my place this month. If I can pull it off I'll keep you posted! Have a wonderful weekend!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

It turned out beautifully! I bet it was amazing :-)

elisa rathje said...

i can promise you it wouldn't last for anyone else to taste it! x

Pearl said...

Mmmm..looks Delish!


Pearl

Jacqueline said...

Made it last night...utterly decadent and delicious!

birdsandbaking said...

I made a few tiny modifications, but I've made this twice now! Thanks for sharing the recipe; your photos are very pretty!