Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Baked


First let me say, that game last night almost polished me off. I love the Canucks, but why do they insist on torturing us? Game 7 is tomorrow, and the Stanley Cup will be given to the winner. Please let that be the Vancouver Canucks.

Back from a few days in Victoria, and now just doing some post production and a little baking. I have to keep up my energy for this. ;) Hope your week is off to a good start! Did you all have a good weekend?

I originally found this recipe via Alton Brown, but then a lovely woman I worked with once, suggested I add some baking soda to the mix. I also added a sprinkle of corn meal. Worked out well, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. These are not, technically, "baked", they're similar in cooking method to crumpets.

English Muffins - makes one dozen

1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1 cup hot water
1 packet of dry yeast
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup warm water
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
A little cornmeal for sprinkling
(This recipe suggests using an electric griddle, but I don't have one, so I used a large cast iron pan.)


Combine the powdered milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, shortening and hot water, in a bowl and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Let cool. In another bowl combine the yeast, 1/8 teaspoon of sugar and 1/3 cup warm water and let sit until the yeast starts to foam. Add the yeast mixture to the dry milk mixture, then add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let rise for 30 minutes in a warm spot.


If you have an electric griddle, preheat to 300f. I set my cast iron pan on the stove on medium low heat.
Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda to the dough and mix again, with wooden spoon, thoroughly. Lightly coat the metal rings with vegetable oil and place on griddle/pan. Spoon dough into rings, filling only 1/2 way. Sprinkle a little corn meal on top of each. Sit a cookie sheet, or in my case, a small cake pan, on top of rings and cook for about 5-6 minutes.


Remove lid and flip rings using tongs or a spatula. Cover with lid again, and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack, then enjoy any which way you want!


I like mine with a hard boiled egg, basil and cheese. My husband goes for Vegemite. 
Have a great day! Back soon.
janis

20 comments:

Razmataz said...

Janis, these look so delicious I think I may make some and eat the whole batch tomorrow night if our Boys aren't kissing that cup at the end of the night.......

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

I'm still sulking about last night's game. That was ri-dic-u-lous!

Clever girl "baking" those English muffins. I'm definitely going to try them.

PinkPanthress said...

Looks yummy... I am speechless!

Emily said...

Thanks for this recipe! I've been looking for a good recipe for English muffins. You don't happen to know of a good croissant recipe, do you?

Pinecone Camp said...

Emily, I don't have a "reliable" recipe for croissants. They are hard to make! I must practice. It took me a few tries to get english muffins worked out, just so you know. ;)
Chania and Jennifer, the Canucks have to win tonight!!!

Tracey Ayton Photography said...

Mmmm those look scrumptious! Thanks for stopping by. GO CANUCKS !!

keishua said...

cool. I've been wanting to try my hand at these. thanks for the recipe.

christine, just bella said...

These look just scrumptious!

I'll be cheering along with you tonight - I get so flippin' nervous watching these games! Go Canucks!

c and d said...

that just made my store bought english muffins to shame (this morning's breakfast, one was smothered in pb and the other with imperial cheese). beautifully done!
any cocktail suggestions for tonight's win? so excited.

Rachel from Birch + Bird said...

Oh, yum! These look perfect for Saturday morning breakfasts.

kate / tinywarbler said...

oh yes! i would go with the egg, cheese and basil too! they look so good........

mise said...

Wonderful English muffins! So comforting, and they always remind me of Katy Carr's trip to Europe in What Katy Did Next.

24 Corners said...

These look adventurous and delicious! Working with yeast makes me nervous but these might be worth a try...again!
xo J~

meesh@idreamofchairs said...

I've never called an english muffin "lovely" before...but you have made them look so. I bet homemade ones are yummy, but my cooking/baking skills are a little underdeveloped. ;)

Lynn {hearted girl} said...

oh English Muffins remind me of my mom's kitchen growing up. sweet memories indeed! the wafting through the air of these luscious scents was heavenly.

hard boiled egg addition is making my mouth water!!!

and game 7 was sure something, i hope you have been alright through our cities upheaval. seeing all the volunteers helping with the clean up yesterday warmed my heart completely. we aren't an easily rattled bunch and when push comes to shove, we'll always take the high road to overcome those bottom dwellers! be well - many blessings. ♥

lisaroyhandbags said...

These look delicious - perfect toasted with some yummy raspberry jam.
I saw the videos on YouTube after the game - how crazy is that? Some people really need to lighten up - it's only a hockey game. Not too proud to be Canadian :(

Gigi said...

Yum!!! Must make these, and I love your photos. English muffins are my favorite breakfast bread, especially when they're homemade. Double yum.

xo Gigi

bicocacolors said...

felicidades por este maravilloso blog!!!

elena

gabricci said...

Just yummy!!

Frau Haselmayer said...

WOW! These look perfect! And delicious! And the images are wonderful of course...