Monday, December 5, 2011

Baked


How was your weekend? Hope it was a fun one.

I'm slowly getting festive around here, so I baked the first of my Christmassy baking. Orange Almond Stars are a German (one half of my heritage) recipe that I've had for years. I can't recall where I found it, but I have changed it up a bit. These are addictive, and not quite as sweet as they sound ;)

Orange Almond Stars - makes about 48 using a 1.5 inch star cutter


3 egg yolks
2/3 cup berry/caster sugar
2 cups finely ground almond or almond meal (I always buy almond meal, as I can't grind it that finely)
Zest of one large orange, finely grated
1 egg beaten, for glaze

Icing:
150g icing/confectioner's sugar
1-2 tablespoons water or milk (I used 2 tablespoons water because I prefer it a little runny)
Top with candied orange peel

Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks and sugar with an electric whisk for about one minute or until light and fluffy. Stir in the almond meal and zest to make a firm dough.



Sprinkle icing sugar on your work surface, and rolling pin, and roll out dough. Cut out stars (or any shape), prick with a fork, and transfer to baking sheet. Brush egg on each star, and bake for about 8 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.


To make icing, place icing sugar in a small bowl, add water and stir until smooth. Top with a few tiny bits of candied orange peel. Place iced cookies on a wire rack, and allow to harden. If you'd like the recipe for candied orange peel, let me know!



That's it for today! Have a lovely day.

Back soon,
Janis

15 comments:

shellie said...

those look delicious....as always!

brismod said...

They look fantastic. xx

Sherri B. said...

Such sweet little cookies and lovely photos! Have a great week!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

These look so lovely, esp. arranged in the baking tin at the end with their little embellishments. So sweet! Thanks for sharing with us! :)

le@thirdontheright said...

ohh I love these - you are so inspiring le xox

elisa said...

beauties. i'm half-german too! particularly fine at christmas, the traditional baking is so good.

lisaroyhandbags said...

LOVE them all piled in your vintage loaf tin! I haven't started any baking - mind you, we may end up going on a bit of a break over the holidays so I'm not stocking up on too many treats xo

the southern hostess said...

These are adorable and sound yummy too!

mise said...

How lovely, and how exciting about the restaurant! Good luck with all the preparations.

homeboundtheheartoflife said...

these look soooooooooooo yummy. the candied orange on top is perfect. and the styling is grand, thanks for sharing. have great day.

Heidi said...

These look amazing and are going on my baking list for the year!

Tereasa Surratt said...

your photos are so beautiful it hurts. seriously.

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

i wish you could knock me up a batch or three of those!! xx

Heavy Petal said...

These look amazing! I'm going to try making these today with my little one.

hardydanielle said...

mmm these look delicious!!