Friday, October 9, 2009

Thankful


We're heading into a long weekend here in Canada. It's Thanksgiving. I love this time of year. Nothing but heaps of stuffing, cranberries, stuffing, sweet potatoes (soaked in maple syrup), and stuffing.  A true carb delight. 

My post purchase doubts have kicked in a bit this week (thanks to blasted Ebay!), so I have felt like a greedy guts. I'd like to remedy it a bit, by declaring my thankfulness for a few things in my life. I'll try not to be deeply mushy, or too wordy!

I'm very thankful for....
My husband, friends and family here in Vancouver and Australia.  

Having 13 years with our fabulous dog Plugger.  He passed away this summer. We really miss him.

Plugger

The lovely people that have purchased some of my prints over the last week. Pictured below is the Chinatown series and a couple of Fallen Ladies.




Having a roof over my head is pretty good too.

Speaking of having a roof over my head...
 
If you live in Vancouver, check out gratitudeweek.org and please donate. Their slogan is "Give a dollar. Give a damn". If you live here, you know we have an unacceptable homeless problem. For a rich city like Vancouver, this should not be happening. It's bunk. With the Olympics coming, it can only get worse.

Another fabulous organization, you all might like to check out, is kiva.org
As a wedding gift, for my brother and his wife, my family lent money to a lovely woman, in Honduras, so she could open up a beauty salon.  The money was repaid in just a few months. It's a fascinating site to go through. Please take a look. I'm about to donate to a man that simply needs a couple of goats. 

Have a great weekend! Happy Thanksgiving Canada!

 

13 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Janis thanks for the tip re Kiva, our family does something similar each Christmas (buying a well for a family etc). Much much better than buying them a toaster or a book. Sometimes I look at all the stuff we have and I feel physically ill. Thats my rant for the morning. I wish we had a Thanksgiving in Australia. I think we take a lot for granted. ! xoox

jan said...

Happy Thanksgiving Janice. Oh and Plugger.....awwww.

Wishing you a lovely dinner (with lots of stuffing)!!

: )

Heather Cameron said...

Happy Thanksgiving friend.
xh

My Owl Barn said...

I am glad to have found your blog and this post. What you and your family does it great. I think all of us who are grateful for a blessed live must pay it forward. I have started a cause for poor children in India. If you get a chance, stop by my blog to read about it.

Have a great weekend!

kate / tinywarbler said...

happy thanksgiving janis! i'm looking forward to lots of pumpkin pie and stuffing. (and wearing leggings or track pants all week as a result)
thanks for the link to gratitude week. i'm totally checking that out, it's so needed for this city.

Courtney said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I can't wait till our's next month!

Vanessa said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! Kiva sounds like a wonderful organization- I'll have to check them out.

koralee said...

Thank you for the link...I am off to see if I can give a dollar! Great cause! Hope your pumpkin pie was amazing..mine was...but now I can not do up my jeans...oh dear!

Elise said...

what a lovely post - thank you

MissBliss said...

very sweet post... what a good reminder... a roof is definitely something to be grateful for each day. :) sorry to hear about your dog, Plugger. my husband's precious cat of only 3 years just passed away last month... losing a pet is the worst. Plugger looks like he was a real sweetie.

Pinecone Camp said...

Plugger was a sweetie. Thanks Miss Bliss!

tara said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving! We do something similar at Christmas, well we have the last two years considering, thankfully none of us are really in NEED. Blessings~

Tracey said...

I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!!! Good for you for giving back...that organization sounds fantastic!

:) T