Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fright Fest


From Christmas to Halloween. So much can change in a week. I do love a good "scary" movie with lots of mayhem and suspense, but no slashing. Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Saw (all 5 or 6 of them), to name a few, are unwatchable (new word). 

It's Fright Fest this week, on a certain movie channel, so I thought I'd list a few of my favourites, partly because of how they look. Very stylish. The photography, sets, costumes, are pretty spectacular in these particular films, even if you don't like this genre.  Do you have a favourite horror movie? Do tell.

Rosemary's Baby 1968. Love her pixie cut, sweet little outfits, sets, and her neighbours. Ruth Gordon is amazing as Minnie Castevet.


The Birds 1963. The hair, suit and all those crows. Spectacular. Edith Head was the costume designer for Tippi Hedren. I love Edith.


Ahh, the Innocents 1961. I think this is my favourite film out of this bunch. Deborah Kerr is fabulous, as are the spooky children. Martin Stephens, who plays Miles, is especially spooky.

 
Heather Cameron and I shot this story for Gardening Life with the help of Kate Keeler, my nephew Jake and sister Debbie, a couple of years ago. We set up a movie screen in amongst Heather's blueberry shrubs. Naturally, we had to feature The Birds. 

Happy Halloween!

21 comments:

The Vintage Modern Girl said...

oh The Birds is definitely a classic in my book, but i've never seen those other ones...guess i'm going to have to make a library trip!

Pinecone Camp said...

You must see Rosemary's Baby and The Innocents. I would love to live in Rosemary's apartment, and the Innocents is absolutely spine tingling.
thanks for commenting Ms. Vintage Modern Girl!

mise said...

That blueberry Birds shoot looks intriguing! Happy Halloween, and it's nice to be reminded of how elegant everyone was in the movies before our slouchy generation.

kate / tinywarbler said...

i was just watching rosemary's baby last night! i love all of them (including slashers) although i haven't seen the innocents. we've just taped 'let the right one in' and i can't wait to see it.
that was a fun shoot! a little chilly, but fun. it turned out great.

Pinecone Camp said...

Mise, everyone was impossibly elegant! Wish I could transport myself back to that time.
Kate, I don't know how you can watch the slashers - eek, and eew and ugh. You will love "Let the Right One In", it's chilling. LOVE the little girl creature in it.

Heidi said...

So great that you would post this today. Earlier I was driving along a saw a flock rise from a field and I thought to myself "I should really watch 'The Birds,' it being so close to Halloween and all." Then here you remind me yet again ...

Thanks

http://oliveobserver.blogspot.com/

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I could never understand why Tippi felt she just HAD to go into the attic! I mean really. What did she THINK would be in there!!
Such a creepy movie!

Heather said...

What a fun post, I'll have to see if any of these are on!
Happy Halloween!

koralee said...

Still having nightmares over "The Birds" when I first saw it as a child. I hate these type of films and promised myself never ever to watch another one again! My imagination is huge! Do like your movie shot...what fun you girls must have!

The Haute-Shopper said...

The Birds is one of my all-time favorite scary movies and one of the first I ever watched as a kid. Rosemary's Baby is terrific as well. I know what you mean about the setting and the styling of these movies. There's something dramatic yet chic about the way everything was put together. And that last shot is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

Heather Cameron said...

well, it was inevitable - you and I would post the same - sort of - shot/story line. It's such a good photo and was such a fun day, it's worth reading about twice! The background information on The Birds is fascinating - how and where all the birds were filmed. Ever see it?

Pinecone Camp said...

Really, Heather? I haven't seen yours yet...will check it out now. I have seen all docs on Hitchcock and the Birds. Love it, as you can imagine.
Happy Halloween everyone!

Torie Jayne said...

Happy Halloween! Great shot of the birds!
Thanks for all your lovely comments on my Halloween posts! x

jan said...

Love that shot you guys did! The Birds scared me forever!

briannelee said...

Oooo, love that last shot! I have never seen any of those movies, but I will have to rent them from Netflix at some point :)

MissBliss said...

deborah kerr is awesome! hope you enjoyed the film fest :)

Couture Cookie said...

Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby is my favorite all the way! Imagine, to look as great she does in that pixie cut...! And the clothes are to die for as well!

Michela said...

Hi Janis! I'm very pleased to "meet" you!
Thank you so much for visiting me and following my blog!

Dragonfly said...

Hi Janis, Thanks so much for visiting my blog, I'm glad you are enjoying it :-)
Following you too now!!
Cheers, Karen

annechovie said...

Thanks so much for your visit and comment! Have a great week.

vintagelaundress said...

You can't go wrong with Hitchcock - love The Birds, but it scared the liver out of me! Great Post and I love the idea of setting up a screen in the hedge!