Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Thoughts


I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day. My husband gave me a thoughtful present. We were having a drink at the Hotel Vancouver, when in walked Cindy Crawford (stun-ning), and my husband didn't over react. In fact he didn't react at all. I think that's a very good present. Wasn't that nice of him?

The mysterious, and intriguing, Pink Pantheress has passed on the Happy 101 Award to me. Thank you! I'm supposed to tell everyone 10 things that make me "happy". All about getting to know bloggers, I guess. Now.... I'm not usually an overly happy-go-lucky person, but I will give this a shot. Here we go.

1) Seeing the sunrise from Crab Park in Vancouver. Colours are beautiful, and there is no one around. Peaceful.

2) Cherry blossoms at Vancouver City Hall. Isn't it supposed to be winter?


3) Wall of art by all my favourite kids - nieces, nephews and a couple of good pals.

4) This screen print, made by my husband as an anniversary gift. My legs look almost exactly like that.

5) This cake. It's the easiest recipe, and the texture is more like a brownie. I have to go and get a piece now. UPDATE: Duta said it was a pity that I didn't include the recipe...and she's right! I've added it now...easy and yum.

350 oven
grease and line bottom of round cake tin

125 g (1/2 cup) butter - melt in small sauce pan
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Sift together flour and cocoa. Add sugar, vanilla, 2 eggs (lightly beaten), and milk. Mix together with whisk. Add melted butter and blend with hand mixer until smooth and colour changes to a lighter brown. Pour batter into cake tin and bake for 30-35 mins. To test, use toothpick or bamboo skewer. Should come out clean when completely baked. When cool (if you can let it cool I can't) jazz up with icing sugar. Enjoy.


6) Airports. Love them all, from Castlegar to Heathrow.

7) Monck Park in Merritt, B.C. It smells of pine trees and Nicola Lake is beautiful.

8) Receiving letters from Rigoberto. Our sponsor child from Honduras, with Plan Canada.
9) The huge amount of donations, by Canadians, to assist Haiti.
10) My friends and family, of course!

Well, that wasn't too difficult. Thanks again Ms. Pink Pantheress! I believe I have to pass this one to a few other bloggers, so I choose...

Robert Edmonds (this should be a good one;)
The Vintage Laundress
Chic Geek Designs


38 comments:

considered design said...

Really liking the image of the cherry blossom Janice, is that one of yours ?

PS Are Rob's knees really that knobly ?

bluehydrangea said...

That screen print by your husband is fab!! It reminds me of that old TV show My Three Sons. And Cindy Crawford? Wow, not gawking is huge!!

PinkPanthress said...

Your husband did awesome! :D Nothing is better than to have your loved one's sole attention at the right time, no matter who or what might show up!!

# 3 is so cute, I love it when children give you selfmade art in which they put time & effort, it makes your feel special!

# 5 is... om nom, cannot talk must daydream about that yummy cake! ;)

& # 6 scares me... I'm so afraid of flying, that the mere sight of an Aeroplane or Airport makes me breathless, but not in a good way!

I found this very entertaining, thank you for participating!

Johanna said...

are those cherry blossoms really blooming right now? so much for the winter olympics eh? they are beautiful though. i love your "love list"...chocolate cake, children's art, the waterfront....all beautiful things!

koralee said...

Congratulations on your award..I just read in the Sun today that Cindy Crawford was in town...I would of loved to have seen her. I really do adore her. Hope you are enjoying all the Olympics have to offer. xoxoxxo

Pooch Morning Glory said...

hi janis
im jealous that you have cherry bossoms. we have snow... only snow.
have a happy day
~laura

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Janis!
Well what a good hubby!! haha 10 points to him!
Love hearing about you 10 happy things and have to totally agree with you about airports!!! dreams of vacation and exploration..
Have fun and hope you are enjoying the olympics! xx Julie

Heather Cameron said...

that is a perfect list. Well done dear friend.

Marina said...

What a gorgeous man you have ... not to give Cindy a look ... and
what a great Vday present!
Congrats on your award ... its always lovely to read something about our blogging friends ... and I'm sure your husband captured your legs exactly!
Have a great week.
xx

FEDERICA said...

Thanks for entered my giveaway!
Good luck!
Federica
xoxo

mise said...

I love these Happy 101 things; they make people sound so happy. Mind you, with legs almost exactly like that, who wouldn't be?

DUTA said...

Congrats on receiving the award!

I like the idea of a "wall of art" with pictures done by family and friends. Really great idea!
The cake left me mouth-watering; pitty you didn't add the recipe.
The cherry blossoms at this time of the year are just amazing!

Have a blessed , happy Day!

Pinecone Camp said...

Why, yes, Considered Design, blossoms are mine. Kind of obsessed with blossoms. As for Rob's knees...not quite.

Prêt à Voyager said...

what a great v-day!... great visuals too :)

anne

KaReN EiLeeN said...

Thank you so much for stopping by. I love your little slice of happiness too! You take beautiful photos...I want to live in them!!

Warm Wishes,
KAREN EILEEN

AB HOME Interiors said...

I love the wall of artwork. And the pic from your husband is oh so sweet!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

janis....lovely photographs...and what a great love list..
and then Cindy Crawford to top it off...gosh, i would love to see her myself....

so good to see you at Farmhouse, my friend

kary
xxx

briannelee said...

Hahahahahaha, awwww... I think you can still wear shorts!

BarceloMIA said...

WOW... V-Day with Miss Crawford... not bad! I love your pics btw!!!:) xxx

Frenchy chick said...

I love your list, really cool!
Happy your Man did not do a big deal about the model. Stars are no big deal. Just people we have seen a lot on TV. :)
Thanks for saying hi! Came to give you some luck! :)
www.lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

Courtney said...

All of these images just made me happy! Your art wall is so very charming, and I'd love to see that sunrise in person.

trishie said...

oh wow, cindy crawford, i think i'd be gawking myself!

Congrats on the award!

Sara said...

Thanks for the hello earlier today :) I'm fond of the things on your list as well...wish I could manage to see more sunrises :P

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

Long skinny legs and a brownie cake recipe to die for I would vote you off the island but you already won me over with you charming blog.
Felicitations my dear.
Warm regards,
Simone

DUTA said...

Many thanks for the cake recipe!!

paula said...

sounds like a lovely valentines. Love getting to know tidbits about you.

Vanessa said...

Love your "happy" list! So nice that you mentioned your sponsored child and donations to Haiti - you have a big heart and I like you even more!

vintagelaundress said...

Thanks for the Happy 101 Award you beautiful woman - you're the grooviest!!

xoxo,
LeAnn

c and d said...

yeah for Rob!! and puh-lease, cindy's got nothin' on you.
as always, love the personal list...so great you are.

Lori said...

Thanks for the award! You had a great list! I just put mine up. Hope you enjoy it. :-)

Rachel said...

Hi Janis. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! That brownie cake looks divine, I think I will have to make it this weekend! Love your portfolio site too - it is stunning! Have a great weekend :)

Torie Jayne said...

That is a great list! I am so hungry now after seeing that delicious piece of chocolate cake! Have a sweet day!

Pretty Little World said...

Everything about this post is all around wonderful! That most certainly is an excellent gift from your husband! And that chocolate cake doesn't look to shabby either :)

thecascaderoom said...

I hear you also love bobsledding! ; )

maureen @ The Inglenook Decor said...

ha! ha! that is the best husband ever but if I was there, I'll probably be the one a little hysterical anyway! fabulous choices btw & the art collage is so adorable. thanks for stopping by the blog!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You are so right about airports. There is nothing quite like sitting at the gate with your ticket in your hand, is there?

Creative Coquette said...

I love the art wall and what an awesome gift both in Cindy and the print. Sounds like a keeper :)

Iva said...

Congratulations on your award! So glad you and your husband had a nice Valentines Day!