Monday, April 26, 2010

Baked on Monday

Hello Monday! Can't believe it's already been a week since I posted my very first "Baked On Monday". Hope you all had a great weekend.

It was Anzac Day in Australia and New Zealand this past weekend, so in honour of that I've made Anzac biscuits for my Australian husband (Ok. They're for me. He doesn't care for biscuits that much.). As I baked, Robert watched Gallipoli (great old film with Mel Gibson, when he was still beautiful).

Anzac Biscuits


120g of unsalted butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp boiling water
1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 cup flour sifted
1 cup brown sugar (I had to use dark brown sugar for these, as my golden brown sugar was in a 'petrified' state)
1 cup rolled oats


Preheat oven to 180c/350f.
Melt butter in a saucepan, then add syrup. Mix baking soda in the 2 tablespoons boiling water and add to syrup mixture. In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix well.


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place teaspoons of batter on tray and flatten with a fork.
Bake for 13-15 minutes, checking for colour. Biscuits are ready when lightly golden. You want the biscuits to be a little more chewy rather than crunchy. Mmmm. Perfect with tea.
Makes about 24 biscuits.

I think I know what I'm going to make for my next "Baked On Monday". Do you like orange?

24 comments:

erica@ moth design+luxe life said...

these look great! thanks for sharing! xo e

Heather Cameron said...

guess there won't be any left after Tamara gets hold of them today!

Razmataz said...

You pictures are wonderful. I want to eat that cookie dough!

christine said...

Yum - yum - yum! I am definitely trying these!! Thanks :)

tamara said...

Ummmmmmmm I'm waiting.......xx

Lemondrop Marie said...

Those are scrumptious looking, I am feeling the need to celebrate and have a snack myself. Lovely inspriation.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

What's golden syrup? Microwave the petrified brown sugar in a ziploc bag with a tiny opening, next to a cup of water for 30 seconds, and then hug the Bumpkin around the neck for teaching you this trick.

Pinecone Camp said...

Thank you bumpkin! I will now de-petrify my brown sugar! I'm sending you an e-hug ;)
Golden syrup is not corn syrup, but it's found in that section in the grocery store. I thought I could use maple syrup, but it was frowned upon!

Razmataz, the cookie dough is pretty delicious...almost better than the actual cookie!

Irene b said...

I don't know if it is better to see or to eat these biscuits: i'd like to capture the light like you!

kate / tinywarbler said...

those cookies look right up my alley, i bet they're delicious janis! but what is golden syrup? could you use corn syrup?

m.e (Cathie) said...

mmmm, they look amazing!!

c and d said...

these look gorgeous...was sad to see when i went home to make your lemon cakes that i was all out of flour : (
went to cascade room last night and had a great evening.

Pooch Morning Glory said...

i had all the ingredients to make last mondays lemon treat.... until, we needed lemons to make lemon meringue pie martinis.... o well. they were really good tho :)
got more lemons. these look good too
~laura

vintagelaundress said...

Super-delicious and beautiful images, as usual! I'm almost inspired to make friends with that white box in the kitchen that has fire coming out of it . . . almost.

Kerry said...

Ah nothing like a good Anzac biscuit...my daughter guilt tripped me into making some for her on Sunday. Like a good Aussie, how could I refuse! Love your blog.

koralee said...

Ok...guess what I am making today!! Thanks my friend. xoxo

considered design said...

Janis, Jamie would be proud of your 'Baked on Monday' blogs.
http://considereddesign.blogspot.com/2010/04/ted-jamie-oliver.html

PinkPanthress said...

They look delicious! :D And the receipt looks idiot proof, so even I should be able to do them...

And Oranges sounds great for next time!

flo said...

I try this week-end.... It's seems so good ! With "croustillant" (crunch, crunch...)
And it's ok for orange... I wait with impatience your future recipe !
Good evening...

red ticking said...

they look amazing... ... i will definitely try these...

arvi said...

your honouring of Anzac Day was perfectly metaphoric...you making biscuits for a man at the front (okay he was in front of a tv but he was watching Gallipoli). The gorgeous photos offer an excellent tribute to taste as well as the time. arvi

jan said...

oh my goodness those look delicious!

Robe said...

Thanks Arvi - You're a true comrade in arms!

DANDELION DAYDREAMER said...

these look delicious, you would be very handy to have around my house!! thanks for sharing all your great recipes :)