Monday, November 2, 2009

A rock 'n' roll and crafty weekend


Occasionally, my husband and I have our very own crafty days. We don't have kids, but some would think we do. The image above might be why. Those toadstools really did look like a Smurf house. Makes me smile.

This past weekend, besides trick or treating with our nieces, nephews and a few good friends, we got crafty. Rob worked on his upcoming show at Public, and I worked on a series of Christmas cards.  

For one of my cards, I painted and papered my birdhouses, and made festive wreathes to adorn their front door pegs. If a bird did indeed decorate for Christmas they would most certainly use snow berries, twigs, and tiny conifer cones, wouldn't they? Rob and I hiked into a nearby forest to shoot them. The light was low and so pretty. I'll show the finished cards later this week.


Rob's got another show coming up at Public Lounge in Vancouver, opening November 8th. It's called Fragments in RPM - "A new exhibition of prints and poster remnants, exploring musical memory and the visual attachment we give to sounds." If you're in Vancouver, go and check it out!


Now, back to painting my kitchen. I'm making quite a mess.

18 comments:

Elise said...

Fabulous !

mise said...

I'd love to see those birdhouse cards! I should make my own instead of buying ridiculously generic mass made ones. But mine would look equally ridiculously craft-aspirant.

Pinecone Camp said...

Mise, you should make some festive cards with your daughters. I know they would be adorable!

Heidi said...

I love the birdhouses. What kind of camera are you shooting with?

Dragonfly said...

Sooo cute!!! Happy painting :-)

c and d said...

i love this! can we sell anything of yours here?? cards look beautiful...; ) i love your birdhouses...they would look beautiful in our window..

Cookie Cutter said...

Love the idea of the birdhouses! So sweet! Looking forward to seeing your cards.

Thanks for visiting my little blog :)

Tracey said...

I LOVE the idea of Christmas decorated birdhouses! Can't wait to see your cards :)

:) T

Heather Cameron said...

Ok, that smurf shot is to bloody funny - that belongs in the Shabby Shack. I can just picture the two of you in the woods, frolicking about with mushrooms, smurfs and birdhouses. How romantic.
If I were a bird, I'd buy the whole lot and rent them out at extremely high prices for the olympics.

kate / tinywarbler said...

i can't wait to see the cards, i know they will be great! and rob's show. i will be there!
and love the mushroom shot! (i was smurfette for halloween one year when i was little)

koralee said...

I am so inspired...I can't wait to see those lovely cards. I am so geared up already for this Christmas season...I just can't stop myself. I think it is all these amazing ideas I am getting from all my blog friends! xoxo We may head into Vancouver this weekend so I will check your husbands exhibit if we can! Sounds very interesting indeed!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Janis
Love your birdhouses!! I do think birds would decorate with berries, twigs, and conifer cones! I can imagine it quite clearly!!

Well I wish I could come to your show... sadly too far.. but... glad you are on your way here... hope it will be fun... we'll put the Welcome Mat out for you and leave a light on!! hehehe [what city will you be visiting?]

Have a great trip.. xx Julie

Courtney said...

What lovely little wreaths! It sounds like the two of you had a wonderful craft-day.

Pinecone Camp said...

Ahhh, I think it just clicked as to who you are c and d;)
I tried to work it out before! I'll see you soon!

Heidi, I use a canon 5d, and nikon, a kodak duaflex and a mamiya 645 (film too!). I love them all for different reasons.

vintagelaundress said...

I can't wait to the cards! You go girl! Paint that kitchen!

jan said...

Wow! Very inspired! I can't wait to see them here. And Robert's show sounds cool too!

Courtney said...

I came across House and Home in Barnes and Noble over the weekend, and was so excited to stumble upon the x-mas story you shot. I know you mentioned it a few posts ago, but I didn't connect the dots when I first picked up the magazine, so it was a great surprise. It looks even more beautiful in person!!

kitty said...

Wow, the Smurf shot looks great...I would like to see it done with Smarty Pants Smurf or whatever he was called! he was my fav! Oh right, Brainac Smurf.
Those birdhouses are adorable too. Cmas is fast approaching, I need to get on it too!
cute stuff as usual