Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Back in action


I've taken the last week off to really do not much. Sometimes I just need to do that. It's been nice watching a hockey game with my mom whilst knitting (first time ever!), going through piles of old magazines and removing them from the house (not all magazines age well), baking lots of cookies and eating them, and throwing in a bit of actual work. It's also been great to see people donating so generously to relief efforts in Haiti. As the world knows, the Haitians have a very long road ahead of them, so they need all the assistance they can get, and they seem to be getting it.

The Winter Olympics are right around the corner so I thought I'd do a post on Omer Arbel, the architect and industrial designer who created the 2010 Olympic medals. Have you seen them yet? Click here for a look and a video. Really interesting to hear how they came about this design. Love them? Hate them? Not sure? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I shot Omer for Canadian House and Home a few months ago. He's featured in the Style Files section of the current issue. He was lovely to work with, as was everyone that works with him.
The image at the top, and all the following images, are from that shoot. I love a good, open, warehouse space.






18 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

nice post...loved seeing it..


thanks for taking the time to stop by Farmhouse..

and YES ! Eat some Pasta!

more later, friend

kary
xxx

Chemin des Muguets said...

Hi Janis,

Welcome back. I wasn't familiar with Omer's work, so I am happy that you did this post.

We're having some wild weather here. How is it up there?

Marjorie

P.S. Do you keep tear sheets of ideas from magazines? How do you organize them?

mise said...

Those are great photos of a great space - the dangling lights are tremendous. Now let's see what you've been knitting!

Heather Cameron said...

still waiting for the pyjamas you said you would sew me, should I expect them to be knitted now? Beautiful images as always.

Gigi said...

I love the warehouse space, and Omer's medals are really interesting. Thanks for the link to the cool video!

What knitting project are you working on? I usually have 3 or 4 crocheting projects going on at once, but I haven't been doing any for the last couple of weeks. I think I need to get cracking!

{little.happy.things} said...

I know how you feel about take a break. I just took 20 days break too. But I didn't really do anything productive as you did... Love these Omer's works. Thank you for sharing.

koralee said...

Loved the video...thank you so much...I adore the medals... they are stunning and to see how much thought went into them is exciting indeed. I was unfamiliar with Omer so thank you for this post today. Wow...it will not be long and the games will be underway. Extremely excited! xoxo

Pinecone Camp said...

Looks like I'll have to post a picture of the 4 scarves I've completed. Don't laugh real knitters!

Koralee, Gigi and Ms. LittleHappyThings, I quite like Omer's medal design as well. I love how they came up with the idea.

Heather, you are cheeky!! Watch out or I will give you a nice pair of knitted pj's.

considered design said...

Lovely shots Janis. Omer is a very very talented chap. I sit looking at this building for much of the day, always wondered what his space was like inside. Nice to get a peek into his world.

Robe said...

I love these shots, especially the middle one with the illuminated lights.

Wishful Nals said...

it's great to have some time to yourself. good for you!

Lori said...

Those medals are really cool! He is really talented! I love that shot of the lights above the table (the second image).

And I can't wait to see the four scarves you're working on! ;-)

Pooch Morning Glory said...

i really liked the video... i cried a little
:)
~laura

Maiden Luxe said...

I love the lighting in these images. Im thoroughly enjoying your blog just about to read the Melbourne v Vancouver post...

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

It must be such an honor to be asked to design something with such a rich history. I truly love his work.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Janis
I love your images here, particularly the 2nd. Well I too am not familiar with this designer so i'll pop over and see the video... thanks for the links.. xx Julie

Antii Sullivan said...

Lush!

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

What a beautiful space.

Good for you for taking some down time to do the little things... they sometimes don't seem as important as the 'real' work, but I think life is made of many more little things than big things :) Might as well fit in some happy ones.