Monday, December 13, 2010

Baked (formerly known as Baked On Monday!)


Hi All! I've decided that I'm still going to share some fantastic recipes with you, but on no particular day.  I chose Mondays, at the beginning, as I always tried to have a "work at home day" on that day, as I needed to ease into the week and I find baking very calming. Turns out I'm shooting on most Mondays now, and that's just the way it goes. I'll just have to adapt ;)

I found a perfect recipe for a cocktail party in Chatelaine magazine. Gruyere Cheese Puffs. Enough said?

Gruyere Cheese Puffs - makes about 2 dozen

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
3/4 finely grated Gruyere cheese (about 100 grams)
1 tablespoon snipped chives
pinch of cayenne


Preheat oven to 400˚f. Arrange racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Pour 1/2 cup of water into a saucepan and set over high heat. Add the butter, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
Using a wooden spoon, add all the flour at once, beating briskly until the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan.


Scrape dough into a medium bowl. Let dough cool for about 2 minutes. Then beat on low speed, adding 1 egg at a time, letting it be combined into the dough before adding the next one.
Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese, chives and cayenne. Divide dough into 24 mounds, 1 inch apart on sheets. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.


Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate and switch sheets, then reduce heat to 350˚f. Continue baking until tops are golden, 7 to 10 more minutes. Remove puffs to a cooling rack.
Puffs will keep well, frozen in an air tight container, for up to 1 month. To reheat, place in centre of 400˚f oven until warm, about 5 minutes.

These cheesy puffs are the perfect cocktail snack (and with a little Prosecco), but they will disappear quickly so maybe double the batch! They're incredibly light and airy, not heavy at all. Deeelicious.


Back soon! Have a lovely day.

22 comments:

emily said...

oh my, these look delicious! perfect little snack to go with cocktails...yum :)

http://chefs-treat.blogspot.com/

shellie said...

i bet they sure do go fast! yum!

the chirpy bird said...

If you think I'm not trying this tomorrow for dinner, you're crazy! This sounds like a dreeeamm!
xx tash

LAURA!!! said...

oh my! I have had a recent re-obsession(word?) with Gruyere. These are going to the top of my savory to be baked list. yuum.

That fist pic., I particularly love. It reminded me of Martha Stewart's first book, "Entertaining". Something about the light and colors I guess.
And on another note, that wall paper, oh that wall paper.

Kerry said...

I don't mind what day it is...I always love these posts )

Natasha said...

Beautiful photos, looks delicious! Prosecco and cheese puffs, you can't go wrong :)

jackie kersh said...

yummers.

lisaroyhandbags said...

I am SO making these! I love having a little somethin in the freezer that I can whip out in a pinch (that's if they even make it into the freezer!) :)

lauren carney said...

hallo fox friend!
your blog is just splendid!
I enjoy your array of wonderment on display!
<3 merry christmas!
happy blogging! x x x

Vintage Home said...

YUMMMY......if I was nice I would make them for my open house tomorrow....but no I am only have gingersnaps! & cider...wish you
could come!

mise said...

Oh delicious. I love anything choux pastry based. And I'm amused by your name change!

BALLET NEWS said...

oh YUM ! PLease can you pop over to mine and russle some of these goodies up ? I'm not lazy, I've had a wisdom tooth extraction with complications and struggling to keep up with everything this year !!!

Charlotta Ward said...

These look heaven! Hello btw.. I am new here and already loving it.
I too am married to an Aussi - great people! :)

Your blog is wonderful. I love it already. Am browsing your posts and am your newest follower.

x Charlotta

Pinecone Camp said...

Mise, "baked" is kind of amusing, I agree. It also makes me wonder about you. Hmmm ;)
Welcome, Charlotta! Aussie people are pretty fabulous and very easy going.
Ballet News, sorry to hear about the wisdom tooth thing - ouch. I can relate.

Marina said...

Gruyere is one of my daughters' favourite cheeses ... she will love this when I show her!

Thanks for sharing Janis.
xx

Haute World said...

I'm almost drooling here. I'll have to give these a try since I've been wanting to bake again for the longest time. But I have a feeling they might all disappear before the actual cocktail hour ;-)

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

enough said is right !!! :-)

oh, those look so good.....

happy to stop by today for a visit

kary and teddy
xxx

Millie said...

MOTH let slip recently that making a roux is on his Bucket List. However, I haven't seen much evidence of an attempt to cross this off. These however may just the ones to galvanize him into action because of one word CHEESE!
Millie ^_^

Lady Grey said...

Those look absolutely INCREDIBLE!!

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less said...

These look delicious! I can't wait to try this recipe...maybe for New Year's Eve!

c and d said...

i want to go home and make these - they look so delicious! first stop - liquor store.

emily said...

i would like to tell you i made these for both christmas and new years eve - they were a HUGE hit! thanks for the recipe :)

http://chefs-treat.blogspot.com/