Monday, December 6, 2010

Baked (late) on Monday! - Estelle's Whipped Shortbread


Hi Everyone! Had a baking day planned with my friend, Tamara (Modern Mommy), but we got off to a bit of a late start so it's now "Baked On Tuesday" for some of you! We've both had "one of those days" ;)

This delicious, and very easy, recipe comes from Tamara's Grandma, Estelle. Here is an early 70's photo her, proudly displaying her cupcakes. Love it.


Estelle's Whipped Shortbread - makes about 24 (we made a combo of trees with my cookie press and Estelle's simple dollops)

1/2 pound of softened butter
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing sugar (powdered)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour



Preheat oven to 325f.
Place butter in a mixing bowl, and beat for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch, icing sugar and flour, and beat for another 3-4 minutes.



For little pillow shapes, just place tablespoons of batter onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until just golden on edges.

 

For trees, we used a cookie press, and added dragees for the tree "ornaments". Very festive! These baked for about 12 minutes.

These cookies really couldn't be easier to make. Thank you Estelle! A good, basic shortbread recipe that you can add to if you like. Enjoy!

PS: check out  great, and fairly new blog, Lost and Fawned for a fun gift guide.  Thanks Lindsey! That picture of me is a touch massive, but I still love you. ;)

Back again soon. Have a great evening...or day!

20 comments:

Marisa Midori said...

Tamara's grandma looks like an awesome lady. I've never seen coloured dragees only the silver. Very festive! (And now I know what to call those darn things instead of "silver sprinkle-ball thingies").

the southern hostess said...

How cute! Love those dragees.

brismod said...

We made shortbread for the boys' teachers at school - yours look lovely with the cachous (didn't know they were also called dragees!You learn everyday).xx

lisaroyhandbags said...

LOVE the pic of Tamara's grandma - just that alone makes me want to make these (that, and my mother-in-law is also an Estelle!). I like the little round ones but the trees really are adorable! I really need to start my baking! :)

Dawn said...

How pretty! I don't think I would want to eat them- they look too nice! I guess If I had a few dozen I could eat half and save the others;)
The photo...love memory takes like that!

tamara said...

Janis, that was fun. Thanks for brightening my day....Estelle would have loved it....xx

greenbeenfood said...

you had me at whipped!!!! brilliant....

sunday collector said...

Love your gift guide! That pic isn't too big - it's gorgeous! Briar

Jennifer said...

I love the softness of the little beads - I'm not a red and green person. My mom never baked cookies but I always did for my sons - now they tell me how much it meant to them and I get a tug in my heart... so I still do. Hugs, Jennifer jennsthreegraces

LAURA!!! said...

These are so pretty! I love that photo of her grandma! LOOOK a that matching turquoise oven and fridge! WANT!!

mise said...

The trees are adorable, and I'd no idea such a thing as a cookie press existed. How backward we Europeans are...

Pooch Purple Reign said...

o they are adorable... as are estelle and her kitchen!! it looks like a photo out of an old magazine
~laura

Natasha said...

I love the little ornaments, too cute! I love it that these only require a handful of ingredients and that I have everything I need right in my pantry. Except those ornaments, I have to go get those :)

Angela Furlong said...

Great post, great pics and another great recipe!!!

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

I think it's been "one of those weeks" for most people!! I am madly in love with the little reindeer ornament and the beautiful plate in the first photo. Love the photo of the 70's grandma too :)

Robe said...

Love the photo of Estelle!!! Looks like a painting to me ; )

Diana said...

Those cookies look so pretty, and I love that deer candle! How cute is that guy?

Love the gift guide too. I've been considering Tom's for awhile, and I'm pretty convinced. I wonder if they'll still be great for air travel when I consider the mammoth proportions my feet swell up to.

Jenn said...

Those looks really good! And, that picture is awesome. I love old family photos. Doesn't matter whose family they come from.

briannelee said...

I love Christmas cookies!!!!

Lady Grey said...

I love a good shortbread recipe... especially one that's tried & true!