Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baked


Happy hump day! Hope your week is going smoothly.

I made a pot pie over the weekend, but added a biscuit topping as I'm not huge on the usual pie crust topping. To each his own, I guess. ;) You can pretty much use any combo of vegetables.

Vegetable Pot Pie - makes 4 small pies

1 small onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 large fennel bulb, finely chopped
1 lb white mushrooms, chopped
1 medium potato, diced small
1 cup frozen or fresh peas
1/4 cup scallions, finely sliced
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup milk


Preheat oven to 400f. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, carrots, and cook until just soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and potato and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle arrowroot powder or cornstarch over vegetables, stir to coat, and cook for 3 more minutes. Add broth and milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Bring to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes until mixture has thickened.  
Remove from heat and add peas, parsley and scallions, stir to coat. Spoon mixture into 4 ramekins. Top with biscuit dough (see below).



Biscuit topping

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup chives, chopped

To make biscuits:
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Cut in chopped butter with a pastry cutter until mixture is like a coarse meal. Mix in parmesan, then add milk and chives.


Knead dough in bowl, for a few minutes. Pat out onto work surface and cut out shapes using a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter. Top each ramekin with biscuit dough. Bake for about 25 minutes, until biscuit is golden brown. 


Really easy, and sooo good. It's kind of a staple around here. If you try it out, let me know.

Have a great day!

Back soon,
janis

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Yummmmmm! And I have herbs starting to grow to include several of these so extra exciting.

Tan said...

Oh my goodness that looks absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS! Man am I ever hungry now

Lisa said...

I am adding this to my recipe stash. This is my idea of comfort food. Thanks for posting.

amy walters said...

Mmm...I love pot pie. It always tastes so good, but it's not easy to make it look as beautiful as this. xo

Mise said...

Very nice indeed. I do like how you tend to make food in such charming individual portions.

annie said...

That looks so yummy and the biscuit makes the perfect topping! lovely photos!

Jen Ellis said...

Just made the grocery list! I can't wait to try this tomorrow. I know what you mean about the pastry crust, I totally prefer the idea of a delicious biscuit topping.

Thanks Janis!

barbara@hodge:podge said...

Mmmmm..sounds yummy! I should try this. Just need to get me some arrowroot powder!

trishie said...

That looks really delicious. I have never tried a bisuit topping with a pie before but am really curious now

Jan | Poppytalk said...

That looks pretty yummy! Where do you find all these amazing recipes?

lisaroyhandbags said...

yum! Love the idea of biscuit topping instead of the usual crust :)

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

"Pinecone Camp" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/03/sites-to-see_23.html

Lady Grey said...

I love the idea of a chive biscuit topping - looks delicious, and very spring-y!

Callie Grayson said...

This looks really tasty! Anything with a biscuit and I am all for it
Mmmm
Xx
Callie

Danielle Hardy said...

I am soooo going to try this recipe!! sooo yummy :) is there anything you can't do?

Colleen said...

totally made this but in one large dish (and veggies that i had on hand) and it was totally delicious! thank you for sharing.