Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Baked

Hope your week is off to a good start! I've got heaps of photo editing to do, and deadlines looming. Oh well, nothing a cupcake can't help.


Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream - makes 12 cupcakes

150g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup almond meal
1 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with vegetable oil, or line with paper liners (I didn't seem to have any of those kicking around).
Beat butter and sugar, with an electric mixer, until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined.


Pour in milk and almond meal, and blend. Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, and mix together until well combined.


Scoop batter into cups evenly and bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.


Coconut Buttercream
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups icing sugar
2 teaspoons coconut extract
2 tablespoons coconut milk
unsweetened coconut to sprinkle on tops


To make buttercream: Beat the butter, with an electric mixer, until smooth and creamy. With mixer on low speed, slowly add the icing sugar, a little at a time, then coconut extract, and coconut milk. If it's too thick, add a little more coconut milk. Spread over top of cupcake, then sprinkle with coconut. Enjoy!


Have a great day! Back soon.
Janis

PS
I've done a "behind-the-scenes" of a photo shoot for The Cross, over at Poppytalk today. It was so much fun!

21 comments:

Fair Morning Blue said...

Yum - I'm going to have to try these. Also, your photos are so dreamy lovely!

amy walters said...

Cupcakes make everything better.
Wishing you lots of success with your editing and deadlines Janis!

Pinecone Camp said...

Thanks, Fair Morning Blue (pretty name!)! You should give them a whirl.

Amy, the really do sometimes. I feel like I'm making some progress now. Maybe it's because I'm so jacked up on sugar!

Jennifer said...

Cupcakes are ALWAYS a good idea. Now FedEx one to me STAT!!!!

the southern hostess said...

The coconut buttercream sounds heavenly! I could use one of these right about now.

Pinecone Camp said...

Ah, Jennifer I wish that would work! I've already eaten 3.

Jennifer Findlay (Nicole Jane Home) said...

Darnit!!! Now I'm going to have to drive to Cupcakes to get a chocolate cupcake. Oh the power of your photography!!! LOL.

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Oh my Goodness!! These look so incredible! And I thought I would behave today ;)

Tan said...

Oh gosh I haven't baked cupcakes in so long (and I sell them at summer markets) but this is really making me want to!
Mmmmmm!

DREAMS ON 34th STREET ~ French Bread & Family said...

You know that your recipes decorate my kitchen and fill our tummies. This one looks amazing!
~Lynne
.w/L.

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

I'm back from holidays and catching up on blog reading! :) I feel some post-vacay baking happening tomorrow!! :)

Helene @ Homebound said...

love it, especially the coconut buttercream sounds heavenly. can i please have one {or two or three} as well?

Mary Hudson said...

Ack! That looks like an impossible to resist flavour combo. Very nice.

Mise said...

I like that you ate one before you added the icing!

Freya Lily said...

I think coconut is an underrated flavor. I love it!

Melissa said...

Yum yum yum! Those look great

Vintage Home said...

oh my the coconut icing looks devine!
Off I go to see more of your photo shoot!

PinkPanthress said...

*nomz* Schoki cupcakes!!!

Oh, and a 'behind-the-scenes', need to take a look right now! :D

Marisa Seguin said...

Mmm that frosting looks fluffier than any frosting should be allowed to be

tinyparticlesoflight said...

I'm not sure any of that frosting would actually make it on to the cupcakes.... ;)

xo
cortnie

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

that would be the PERFECT dessert to make here at our place lol LOVE!