Monday, June 18, 2012

Baked


How was your weekend? Were you celebrating Father's Day?

I baked some apple cheddar buns over the weekend. I love full on white bread anything....I've missed that, since I've been trying out gluten-free baking.  A few ingredients put together to make something so simple and delicious - the humble bun.

Apple Cheddar Buns - makes about 9

1 cup warm milk (about 105f)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 packet (8g) active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium gala or granny smith apple, chopped
1/2 cup aged cheddar, grated


Preheat oven to 320f/160c. In a small bowl, mix together the milk, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes, or until it becomes foamy on top. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, oil and yeast mixture until a dough forms.


 Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead in chopped apples and cheese. Add more flour if dough is too sticky. Knead for about 5 minutes, until dough becomes smooth and elastic.



Roll dough out to about 1 inch thick and cut out shapes with a 2 inch round cookie cutter. Place in a greased 7"x7" baking tin. Cover with a towel and set aside in a warm spot, for about one hour, or until doubled in size. Brush tops with a little milk, and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. These are great for "bunwiches", or with just a little butter.


That's it for today! Back soon.
janis

17 comments:

the southern hostess said...

I love that combination! These look so light and delicious! Yum.

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

These look delicious, just pinned them, I might try them later this week ;)

PinkPanthress said...

Looks great... and it's not gluten-free. :D

Lisa said...

Holy moly Janis, my mouth is literally watering... can't wait to try this out!

Callie Grayson said...

Mmmm
Bring on the white bread!
And with apple s and cheddar! Yummmmmmmmy
Xx
Callie

Ps stop by my blog, I am having a give away:)

Vintage Home said...

yum yum yum....these are the best!
Should have know about them befor fathers day....oh well I will make them for whatever day!
Are you back now...?

holly@hvhinteriors said...

Yum! I eat apples with cheese almost daily as a snack. I would probably love these buns. Thanks for sharing :)

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

Mmm...that reminds me of apple pie with a slice of cheddar. Delicious.

Meesh@idreamofchairs.com said...

Yum. Apple and cheddar are one of my favourite combos. I'll have to give these a shot! Glad I'll only have to peel one apple. :)

lisaroyhandbags said...

Yum! I love apples in anything! I suppose these would work with whole wheat flour too? Ive had to adopt a low GI diet and am missing white flour recipes :(

Brave Leather said...

Wow perfect combo!

le_third said...

my goodness these look GOOD !! yummy le xox

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

YUM!!! you always inspire me with food darl, and believe me, that is no mean feat!! xxx

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

You always seem to combine my favourite ingredients! YUM! Baked apple makes almost anything good! :)

Lady Grey said...

these sound and look absolutely amazing! I really want to try out this recipe.

Jan Halvarson said...

looks so good!have a great weekend janis!

Linn @ The Home Project said...

These seem absolutely scrumptious! You're making me hungry and I should be going to bed! What a wonderful combination!