Thursday, June 28, 2012

Baked


Ah, we're inching closer to the Canada Day long weekend. Can't wait. How's your week going? Hope it's been smooth sailing.

I baked a batch of Blueberry Almond Quinoa cookies...and they're not too bad for you. I've had two this morning already.  Good start ;)

Blueberry Almond Quinoa Cookies - makes about 20

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
4 large egg whites
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup chopped almonds


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together, flour, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and apple sauce for a couple of minutes. Beat in the egg whites and almond extract for another couple of minutes. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon, to combine. Fold in the quinoa, oats, blueberries and almonds.



Spoon large spoonfuls of dough onto prepared baking sheet, spacing about an inch apart. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until golden in colour. Place on a wire rack to cool...or eat immediately. Enjoy!


By the way, I'm over at Poppytalk today as well. It's a "Made in Vancouver" story about a couple of my favourite furniture designers from Bombast.


Have a good day! Back soon.
Janis

15 comments:

Melissa Marie Head said...

Those sound great! I might have to try to make some over the holiday week!

elisa said...

gorgeous. i want to get back into baking more. i'm sure there wouldn't be any complaints around here! have a beautiful weekend janis xx

PinkPanthress said...

They're looking so nummy! *sighs*

holly@hvhinteriors said...

Looks delicious! And your images are just perfect. Looks like I may be sending you some image permission requests in the future ;) ... because of my new project. (have you seen it? www.thedesignchef.com)

Xx.

Talk of Canada Day makes me miss Canada ;)

Pinecone Camp said...

Melissa, you should give them a whirl. Despite the long list of ingredients, they're pretty easy to make ;)

Elisa, you do so much already! Been to Fratelli lately?

Pink Panthress, they are...if I do say so myself.

Holly, I've been so out of the loop with everyone, I'm now just catching up. Off to check our new project!

Vintage Home said...

Hi Sweet Lady...I have had no internet for 3 days...so catching up. With an ice latte in hand, at this hour!
So wish I had a cookie like this...well I better go bake!

Amy Walters said...

Mmm....Janis I loooooove Quinoa. And I love dessert! You've managed to put together two of my fav's. Can't wait to give this recipe a whirl. Happy Long weekend to you. Cheers!

Carla Coulson said...

I love that you find time to bake my Paris teeny weeny kitchen is so not "bakeable". Have a lovely weekend just clicking over to poppytalk.
Carla x

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

I've tried quinoa in almost everything else. Going to have to try this recipe. They look yummy! Happy Canada Day!

Carola said...

delicious! Love the mix between almond and blueberry.
I saw your post in poppy too, lovely futniture, great line and material.

kiss

Carola

Helene @ Homebound said...

so delicious! i just love your pics. and am totally into blueberries at the moment :-) i'm so glad the weekend is here... have a great one Janis. xx

Jan Halvarson said...

i bet the texture of these are amazing, must try! and thanks for the wonderful post this week!

Marcus Design said...

Ooh the cookies look amazing :) I'll be popping over to poppytalk to have a look now. Hope you enjoy your long weekend to the fullest Janis! Hugs,

Nancy x

Birch + Bird said...

Umm, yes, I'll definitely be trying this recipe! Baby steps to summer is right...come on sunshine! Such a tease. Have a wonderful weekend!
~Lily

cheap gothic victorian dresses said...

The cookies look yum!Love the combine with blueberry!Good job!