Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Baked


How's your week going so far? Hope it's been smooth sailing!

I had heaps of plums, that were on their way out, so I made a tart. Inspired by a recipe from Ina Garten, I just added a basic custard to the mix.

Plum & Custard Tart - makes one 9" tart

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cups pecans
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 large egg
1 lb plums, pitted and cut into quarters

Custard:
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1  large egg
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly grease a 9" springform pan and set aside.
In a food processor, pulse together the whole wheat flour, pecans, and sugar. Add the butter and egg and pulse until a crumbly mixture forms. Scoop about half the mixture into the pan and press down making an even layer. Layer the plums on top of crumb crust.



To make the custard, place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together until it thickens a little.
Pour the custard over top of the plums, then sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture, evenly, on top. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the sides are slightly golden. Allow to cool before cutting. Enjoy!


This is so easy to make. If you try it out, let me know how it goes!

If you didn't see Monday's post, I'm giving away one of my 2013 calendars. Click here to check it out. 

Back soon!
janis


7 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Lovely! My mum and I used to make lots of plum crumbles with the plums from our garden. Scrummy!

PinkPanthress said...

This looks too yummy!

I think I need to try it, my parents LOVE plums. :)

Niki MyScandinavianHome said...

Mmmmm! I was so excited to spot this post as I've also got heaps of plums sitting at home. Perfect to get the recipe - I can see this crumble won't last long in our house (unless I get the measurments wrong of course - cups? hmmm need to find a little convergence scale before I get started!)

Wendy said...

Looks delish. My husband would love this one... thanks for sharing!

Lynn {hearted girl} said...

now that looks like just the most delicious tart i've ever seen! Janis, not only do you bake like a star but the photographic accompaniments are making my mouth water big time :)

thanks for the visits!! i always love coming by your space. it's so serene here and i'd imagine that completely reflects when meeting you in person too. ♥

Carola said...

just delicious! I cant wait to plum season.

kiss

Carola

lyndsay said...

love the combination of flavours in this - looks beautiful, too - just bookmarked! ^__^

ps i adore the barefoot contessa !!