Friday, September 14, 2012

Store Tour: West Elm Vancouver

Happy Friday! How was your week?

I think it's safe to say that pretty much everyone knows the shop West Elm, right? I have to be honest, I wasn't overly familiar with what West Elm was all about.  I've always been a champion of the indie anything, and independent shops, and always will be. I had the opportunity, along with a dozen others in the biz, to be given a tour of the new Vancouver store by Creative Director, Vanessa Holden. I've been a huge fan of Vanessa's, since she co-founded Donna Hay magazine then onto editor-in-chief of Martha Stewart Living.  After that tour, I have a new appreciation of what they're all about, and it's all good.

Here are some of the things that stood out to me....

They have an Etsy section featuring local talent. This collection included Dahlhaus Ceramics and Walter Helena Photography, to name two.

I was told that each store is decorated to suit the city it's in. They gave the Vancouver store a woodsy, crafty theme. Loved the string pieces hanging behind the front counter. 

They have several products labeled "Discovered". One of a kind pieces. A great selection of throws, cushions and rugs. I bought the Kantha Throw in the bottom right corner. It's made of vintage saris hand-stitched by craftswomen in North India. It's beautiful and reversible too! 

Vanessa Holden, top left. I think I need the side table, top right...x2.

Part of the proceeds, from the opening night party, benefited Arts Umbrella. A fantastic place for kids to learn a variety of art forms: dance, photography, paint, etc. Definitely a new appreciation of West Elm.

Are you a fan of West Elm? What do you like best about them? I'd love hear your thoughts!

Have a great weekend! Back next week.
janis






15 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Oh, this local Etsy Seller Corner is such a gorgoeus idea! ^_^

And, whoa... I totally love the lamp in the front, in the lower right corner from the last image. It's too beautiful!

To be honest I am not sure... maybe only have seen a few links from people who liked stuff on blogs or F!? But I guess I will have to take a look at their HP... even if right now just for inspiritaion's sake!

P.S.: Have a lovely Weekend, Janis! ❤

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I think West Elm rock. Such a great company and the Etsy section looks like a real winner. Now they just need to open in London...! ;)

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

What a great concept, and fab selection!

They can open a store in Oz anyday!! xx

Amy Walters said...

I've never been to West Elm, but I'm a huuuuge fan based on what I've perused online. I'm really hoping to pop in for a visit when I come to Vancouver in a couple of weeks ;)

Sheila @sZinteriors said...

I love your photos! You captured some beautiful pieces, and definitely bought a stunning piece for yourself! I like that West Elm is carrying one-of-a-kind finds, and supporting Etsy shops, too. So much to look forward to!

Holly said...

After this post, I definitely do have more appreciation for West Elm. They're doing good things, thanks for keeping me in the know :)

Great pics!

dahlhaus said...

Thanks for posting some pics of the Etsy section, Janis! As always your photos are so lovely- I only had time to pop by for 15 minutes during the opening to see it all set up! Hopefully the Etsy section is something they continue- there's so many great local shops that can be highlighted!
best, Heather

Vintage Home said...

....it was a fun night & great shopping!...beautiful pictures!

lisaroyhandbags said...

I've only been to West Elm once in NYC and loved it. There are rumors they might be opening in Dubai at the huge Dubai Mall - fingers crossed! :)

Jan Halvarson said...

well, i totally missed that endtable and hey - i didn't get to shop! - must go back to see -

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

How awesome. I'm not a fan of big box decorating but I love that they support etsy sellers. I am so envious of your purchase. It's EXACTLY what I'm looking for right now.

sodhani0013 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
caroline @trend-daily said...

I would so love to see a West Elm Janis-and like Will says-we need one in the UK! :-)

Trekking Nepal said...

Upper mustang trekking,Special permit areas mustang Nepal can trekking for the cultural purpose. It is the Tibet outside the Tibetan boarder. one of the famous trekking in Nepal, organized by the authorized trekking agency of Nepal. Upper mustang trekking permit cost $500 usd for the 10 days. It is one of the expensive trekking areas of Nepal. You can hire a guide and permit with service charge with full board package from us.

Trekking Nepal said...

Upper mustang trekking,Special permit areas mustang Nepal can trekking for the cultural purpose. It is the Tibet outside the Tibetan boarder. one of the famous trekking in Nepal, organized by the authorized trekking agency of Nepal. Upper mustang trekking permit cost $500 usd for the 10 days. It is one of the expensive trekking areas of Nepal. You can hire a guide and permit with service charge with full board package from us.