Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Baked on Wednesday


How's your week going so far? I'm finding myself attached to my computer, editing heaps of images for a few stories. I made some quick and easy crackers that are a little healthier than the minty girl guide cookies I've been eating (thanks Annika! xo).

Nut & Seed Crackers - makes about 4 dozen 1.5" square crackers


1/2 cup raw cashews (or any nut you prefer, really)
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tablespoon coconut flour (find it in specialty grocery shops)
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon grape seed oil
3 to 4 tablespoons water
pepper and coarse salt to sprinkle on tops

Preheat oven to 300f/150c. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a food processor pulse the cashews, almond meal and coconut flour until finely ground. Add seeds and the pinch of salt and pulse until partially ground.



Add the oil, then water and mix until the dough starts to form a ball. Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap, to about 1/8" and cut into shapes. I used a pastry cutter to cut squares. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle tops with a little salt and pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes, or just golden in colour. Try not to eat all of them in one sitting. It's hard.


Have a great day!
janis


7 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Marvelous! :)
I wonder if I could try these with pistachios instead of the cashews. *ponders*

Could that be bad e-karma? -You went for those tech-breaks for a little too long & now you have to sit & edit there, hm. ;)

My week was nice, I got my car through the german TÜV without a hitch & am able to drive it for another 2 years according to their rules. *whee*

Have a great day.

the southern hostess said...

Homemade crackers always impress me because I never think to make them. These look yummy!

Amy Walters said...

I've always loved homemade crackers. My mom makes some really delicious ones too...so much better than boxed.

Jennifer Findlay@CoffeeandCouch said...

You are so clever! You even make simple crackers look like the sweetest little treats ever!!!

Veronica Roth said...

Mmm, those crackers look good. You know, somehow I missed the girl guide cookies here in North Van. Impossible...I know!

Rosita Vargas said...

¡Qué bella propuesta me encanta ! abrazos y abrazos

Ada (new york) said...

What a beautiful MIX of nuts and seeds!