Tuesday, October 9, 2012

(Long) Weekend Observations

It was Thanksgiving this weekend, here in Canada. I hung out with family and friends not really going near my computer or even my phone. A nice little break! I'm curious....who else likes to take a break from technology? Would love to know.

Here's a some of my weekend....


We spent a few hours at Hasting Racecourse on Saturday. It was a beautiful sunny day, and perfect for hanging out watching some amazing animals, with a stunning mountain back drop.  The last horse race I watched was the Melbourne Cup, years ago. Melbournians take their horse racing seriously...it's a public holdiday. Love that.  


Quick and easy. Bring to a boil 1/4 cup of water with 2 tablespoons of butter. Toss 3 cups of raw cashews with butter, 1 tablespoon of curry, 1/2 teaspooon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes at 320f. Mmmm. 

I hope you all had a great weekend. What did you get up to? To my fellow Canadians, did you celebrate Thanksgiving on Sunday or Monday? We're in the Monday category. 

I have to say, I'm so thankful for all of you for stopping by and all your nice comments and emails. It really is a great way to start the day off, so thank you! 

janis
x  






13 comments:

Sheila @sZinteriors said...

Your recipe looks super delish! I definitely want to give this one a try... perfect for the Holiday Season coming up. And, taking a break from technology always feels so good. It's hard to pull myself back to the computer after a little hiatus - how about you?

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I love, love, love taking a break from technology. I took a 10 day break from my laptop and phone over the summer and it was ah-maazing! :) xx

PinkPanthress said...

Uy, all the pretty horsies! ;)
I love that centerpiece, the colours 'scream' Autumn.

I never really can afford to take a break from tchnology. At least once a day I must check my e-mails, on my two addresses that is.

Glad to hear that you had such a great time... & yayz for the quick recipe, yummy!

the southern hostess said...

Such pretty centerpieces! And those cashews look good!

jennifer@CoffeeandCouch said...

Such beautiful horses! I'm going to try out the cashew recipe. Perfect with a chilly Grey Goose martini, n'est-ce pas?

Amy Walters said...

I love technology breaks...they're so good for maintaining sanity!
I was in a wedding this weekend, so I didn't really get a chance to celebrate Thanksgiving, but ever since I was a little girl, it's been my family's tradition to go away for the whole weekend to celebrate with cousins, aunts, uncles and my Grams. It's the best weekend of the year with loads of delicious meals.

Meesh @ I Dream of Chairs said...

I've been to the horse races once in Cloverdale. It was pretty fun. I don't know how to pick a winner, so I choose according to their names. Like if one was named Pinecone Camp. Go Pinecone Camp Go!

Danielle Hardy said...

I so NEED a technology break. it sounds heavenly :)

We happened to celebrated TG on Monday this year with the fam. We tend to go wherever food is being served

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

Wow, your centerpiece and table looks like an explosion of colour. Beautiful. I've never been to the horse races but I think it would be a fun event. I might go wild gambling though, ha! Looks like you had a fun and relaxing weekend :) We celebrated on Monday which was perfect because we still had a whole normal weekend and then a party day.

Veronica Roth said...

I love the "what's left in the garden" center piece. I did that myself this Thanksgiving. :)

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

We had both nights filled with turkey dinners... I'm good til next year now. ;) I have NEVER been to a horse race! Looks like fun! Hope you're having a good week Janis. :)

Carla Coulson said...

This is a quick and easy not to mention delish little idea and great little snack with a drink! Thanks and hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving the races looked fun! Technology break calling me also..
Carla x

koralee said...

Oh boy I have not visited you for ages..missed your sweet blog..but here I am! Hope your thanksgiving was amazing. I am loving your Pumpkin cakes..thinking this will be just the thing to make tomorrow cozy. Keep well. xo