Monday, November 16, 2009

A Day on Earth


I found my personal mecca the other day. We went to beautiful Daylesford, about 90 minutes out of Melbourne, and checked out Shed 4 - A Day on Earth. I think I heard angels singing. This shop (it's actually a huge warehouse) is owned by
David Bromley, a fabulous British born (raised in Australia) artist. He really is one of my favourites. 

The warehouse was full of vintage crates, old worker's lockers, David's art, pottery and even a couple of Japanese coin operated kiddie rides. Absolute heaven. So sad to leave it all behind.

A fabulous box table featuring art by David Bromley, coin operated kiddie ride, and the chair that I can't get out of my mind. Love that colour.

Vintage paddles adorned with Bromley faces (my friend, Nikki, would love these), the backside of a plate, and a quartet of illuminated children. My husband plans on purchasing the blue girl. We adored her. Wouldn't she make a fabulous "greeter" in a front hall?

The last few days have been incredible. The air is so clean and fresh here in Kyneton, and the smell of gum trees is amazing. Ahh, Australia.

20 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Sounds great! I'll have to add this to my list of places I still need to go in Australia!
Enjoy :-)

Courtney said...

What a fun little place! I think you're right - an illuminated girl would make the best greeter. Thanks so much for sharing some of your Australian adventure. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Tracey said...

It all looks so wonderful!! Glad you are enjoying yourself!!!

:) T

briannelee said...

Beautiful!

Sarah said...

I love those lights, and that chair is gorgeous too! What a great place for finding things!

mise said...

Lucky you, under those big blue skies with coin-operated kiddie rides. I hope he has Japanese coins.

Chemin des Muguets said...

Hello Janis,

Welcome to Melbourne. I lived nearby in Flinders on the Mornington Peninsula for 5 years. If you have a chance check out Pomme in Mornington (tell Sue - Marjorie sent you) and Tree in Flinders. Both are super cool shops with equally cool owners.

Have you been to David Bromley's shop in Melbourne?

Cheers,

Marjorie

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I want the flying baby elephant!!!
It was an elephant, wasn't it??

kate / tinywarbler said...

OH. MY. GOD.
that chair. that elephant ride. (could you imagine? -"i have one piece of luggage to check in, thank you,") those glowing children. heaven indeed. it's so incredible! i'm glad you guys are having a fun trip!

Heather Cameron said...

I hate to ask, but could you just pop that dumbo ride in a bag for me and bring it home!! How I wish I were there seeing these wonderful things with you.
miss you. My new windows are bloody fabulous!

koralee said...

I am so glad to hear all is going well plus you are having fun to boot! Bring some goodies home.

St├ęphanie said...

Fabulous !

A Perfect Peach said...

OMG - this place looks like a dream! those paddles totally need to be in my house - they are awesome!

Pinecone Camp said...

happy to hear, my fellow bloggers, that you like A Day on Earth. Sigh.
Heather, I'll see if I can pick up the elephant ride for you, I mean Lily;)

jan said...

And if there's any room left I'll take that chair if you don't take it. And the paddles, Love the paddles!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

PINECONE CAMP.......wow.....did this ever get my attention. I am sitting straight up in my chair...I live in a cottage that is Maine Camp Style...with a huge PINE TREE right out my door......

I'll read your blog this weekend and am following...LOVE IT !

Best,
Kary

MissBliss said...

what a great spot.... i love that chair, too!!!

Gigi said...

I adore that chair and, yes, that blue girl is very sweet! That shop/warehouse is my kind of place!

I found your lovely blog via Marjorie at Chemin des Muguets. So glad I did!

xo Gigi

Cristin said...

Your Aussie adventure has begun! Love these images. You are amazingly talented.

xo,
cristin

kitty said...

Why don't we havea store like this here!!?
It really looks amazing!