Monday, December 7, 2009

Festive Observations


This has been the busiest week. I had plans to post before now, but I had an unexpected crazy (good crazy) shoot week. Must be a Christmas miracle, as it's usually a little quiet this time of year. Hallelujah! Shot stories for House and Home, Sunset and a happy family portrait session.

Needless to say, my weekend was spent with the computer working on hundreds of images. I had to take an eye break so I rugged up, grabbed my camera, and took a walk through my neighbourhood. I love my neighbourhood.

Feast your eyes on these over-the-top, a touch crazy, but festive houses. I don't know the homeowners, but I'd love to meet them all. I did meet two young girls running around with extension cords at the house above. They told me they had been working on the display with their dad. So sweet! Do you put this much effort into adorning your front lawn? I know we don't. If I could get my mitts on a glowing choir boy or girl, I'd be all over it.






I also checked out Walrus on one of my "eye breaks". Wow! They have some fabulous gift ideas. Love that fox face necklace! I hope my husband is reading this.


I've got to get back to sorting and colour correcting now. On a final note, if you're in the Vancouver area on December 14th, check out the extremely popular quiz night at The Cascade Room. They've paired up with Warner Brothers for a special quiz night to promote WB's upcoming Sherlock Holmes. You could win passes for 4 for the screening on December 21st and more! See you there!

I hope all you lovely bloggers are well! Looking forward to having some time to catch up and read your fabulous blogs. 

17 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Great pics!! Good to be busy. Drop into my tea party for a beer, sausage sandwich and a relax :-)

Federica said...

Oh wow! I just found your blog and I'm glad I did!
Come visit me, there's a lovely Christmas Giveaway for all my readers!
Greetings from Italy,
Federica.
xoxo

DUTA said...

Very nicely decorated front lawns in your neighborhood! These house owners deserve some sort of prize from the municipality, that would encourage others to do the same effort.

Pooch Morning Glory said...

hi from ontario !
those are some wacky decorations ! im not sure that i would have the courage to show such an elaborate display! i will have to post some of the ones here. people are really into the inflated ones this year.
we follow a couple of blogs in common so i thought id drop by and say hello.
great blog ! ~laura

vintagelaundress said...

Your photos helped my lack of "merriment" - Thanks! Thanks, also, for the info on Sherlock Holmes - I can't wait for the release!

Heather Cameron said...

I would have thought your neighbours wacko's till this year. Normally my Christmas is perfectly set, beautifully displayed and no sign of kitch. Then my daughter turned two. I know have an inflatable snow man, because she loves him. A hideously decorated gingerbread house on display and this is just the start. If she wanted to cover the lawn in xmas, I'd let her.

Pinecone Camp said...

Heather, I always like a little kitsch at Christmas! To me, it's about childhood memories and all things sparkly and vintage. However.....I don't think I'd pile on quite so many glowing gingerbread men, giant light bulbs and manger scenes. They do make me smile though!
Have a lovely day and bundle up!

kate / tinywarbler said...

so awesome! janis, you would have gone nuts at kenny irwin's house in palm springs. (the highlight of our trip last christmas-i should post some photos).
have a peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3OvCuRJHo

Pinecone Camp said...

You should post Kenny's place Kate. I love how some people just go to town and don't care what anyone says! Makes my day. Actually, I would love to see other blogger's neighbourhoods too!

mise said...

Oh wow! Maybe another walk at nighttime to photograph them again - they're bound to glimmer and glow and emit sparks or whatever festive electricity does nowadays. I always stop the car to admire such places - I reckon their decorators are due that token of my respect.

Cristin said...

Wow, look at those front yards all decked out. A touch crazy? yah. :-)

xo,
cristin

c and d said...

thanks janis! it's always great to see you in the shop. and as for that fox face..i'll be sure to give your hubby a strong nudge the next time he's around. the slightly crazy christmas houses? i see a collection of christmas cards coming out of that...

Federica said...

Thanks for stopping by! :)
Have a sweet day!
Federica
xoxo

Marina said...

Wow ... what a colourful neighbourhood you live in!
Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment!

Oh, and btw Vegemite definitely! Cant do without it every morning on my toast!
Have a great day :-))

Jessica Cangiano said...

What festively delightful shots, they remind me so much of the homes that were part of an annual bus tour of highly decorated houses that my small (B.C.) hometown used to offer each year.

Thank you very much for your lovely comment, my dear, it's a joy to make your acquaintance!
♥ Jessica

jan said...

this was fun! that red and white fence is mind boggling. how did they do it? i love over the top decorations too - its fun!

Heather said...

The neighbors all look like they'd have fun stories to share. Perhaps you should invite them over for some spiked eggnog and hear what they have to say!