Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What happened to Christmas?


Every year I say the same thing. The frantic build up to the big day then poof! it's gone. For the last few days I've been sure not to waste any of the cookies that were happily baked by friends and family, as well as my own sugar cookies. I'm starting to get pimples. All I've done since Christmas (other than eat cookies), is knit scarves, watch It's A Wonderful Life and clean up the house. I haven't even picked up my camera. Poor Canon. Canon and I have a shoot to do tomorrow, so we'll catch up then.

My husband and I are not fans of Boxing Day/Week/Month - it's kind of depressing to me. The picture above kind of sums it all up. I've never been able to wrap my head around shopping the day after Christmas. I would love to hear from those of you that do. Am I missing something, like free shoes and purses somewhere? 

FYI - There are a number of theories as to what Boxing Day is all about. One theory is that boxes were placed in churches, and people placed money and food in them for the poor. The boxes were opened on December 26th, the Feast of St. Stephen, and distributed to the needy. I quite like this theory.  Anyone have any other theories to share?

One last thing to share before 2010. We were mooching off my brother at his restaurant last week and after mooching, we walked by the upholstery shop that is reupholstering my chair. I took in some beautiful blue fabric from Maharam, along with my sad little chair, a few weeks ago. They told me it probably wouldn't be done before Christmas (it wasn't), but I didn't expect to see it sitting high up on a shelf looking so lost. Cheer up chair, it won't be long now!


On that note, Happy New Year everyone! I'm so looking forward to 2010!

12 comments:

Couture Cookie said...

I know what you mean... I think it's sad too. The sidewalk outside our building is filled with garbage bag after garbage bag stuffed with used gift wrap, not to mention all the Christmas trees that people are already throwing out. :(

briannelee said...

Its always makes me sad how quickly the holidays come and go.

Happy New Years!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

hi janis,
my friend special k always shows me the great deals she gets boxing day shopping. im envious until i imagine the chaos she goes through to get them.
i prefer to reflect on the month i just missed completely, and at least enjoy a few days of the pretty christmas tree.
all the best for 2010!
~laura

c and d said...

i'm with you on that janis! how this boxing day/week frenzy exists is just crazy. too bad we haven't stayed true to the St. Stephen boxing day theory...
happy new year!!

kate / tinywarbler said...

that first photo is so crazy-so much waste!
i've been doing a little knitting too (although not so much cookie eating, i need a cheese intervention!) we should do some together!
and your chair looks patient sitting there, waiting for it's new clothes.

Lori said...

I can't believe that Christmas is gone already either! Hard to believe tomorrow is New Year's Eve. I hope you had a great Christmas and have a wonderful 2010!!

Gigi said...

I get a little bummed out after Christmas, too. Okay, maybe very bummed out. I've been stuffing myself with chocolate and crocheting up a storm. Maybe my next book should be called Crochet and Chocolate.

Your chair is going to be lovely, I just know it, and I hope you'll share photos when it's done!

Happy New Year!

xoxo Gigi

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Janis
Well I recently read about the origins of Boxing Day and have completely forgotten the details other than it was the day servants were given a holiday and gifts from the gentry. In fact Boxing Day was my parents wedding anniversary so I have always associated it with that.. and a public holiday

Well I hope 2010 is fabulous for all of us!! only 20 minutes to go here in Aus... wish me luck! I let you know in advance if it is worth the trip.. hehe Julie

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

In my family boxing day is about charity and this is how it works. If you get ten things for Christmas then you put ten items from your belongings into a box and give it away.
It stunk when I was a kind but I dig it now.
Every happiness in the new year.
Warmest regards,
Simone.

Umatji said...

Hey saw you commenting on our mad crochet adventure - thanks for coming by - hope you can stay tuned to see everyone do somehting wonderful and me do something by the seat of your pants!
I agree with boxing day - stay home eat and lie down - now with kids this is challenging but I still give it a red hot try!

Kitty M said...

Wishing you a wonderful new year Janis, here's to a happy decadent decade xxx I leave my shopping trips now until the end of January ... after the sales and once all the new goodies and stock start to arrive and I have saved up again!

kitty said...

Hold on! Wasn't that the chair that Wendy was upolstering for moi in the past? I recognize that yellowy gold fabric...!
However, if it was that chair and i left it languishing in your garage, all bets are off! lol!!
It is going to be beautiful in your place Janis!
Happy New Year!