Wednesday, December 16, 2009

yo-yos and a cookie with a name I can't pronounce


Hope all of you lovely bloggers are enjoying the festive season, whatever holiday you may be celebrating!

I've been trying to get all yuletidy and festive, but I've got another non-holiday shoot today (though I'm extremely thankful for it, H&H), and I've been feverishly perfecting my yo-yos. You Australians will know what I'm talking about. They seem to be a very popular "biscuit" in your part of the world. I will be baking these cookies with my friend Tamara Taggart, on CTV news this Friday. She is the fabulous weathercaster for the evening weekday news program. Tamara is baking cookies all this week with some pretty talented ladies, so I'm nervous. First hour of the show, yo-yos, second part, cookie with a name I can't pronounce. Cuccidati (Italian fig cookie). Any helpful hints out there? My Italian blogger friends, help me!

Spiced yo-yos

On the home front, we've managed to decorate a bit, but feel we still have a lot to do before next week - the official countdown to Christmas. My husband and I don't get too precious with the decor, as we tend to like the natural look, mixed with our tree full of glass ornaments collected over the years. I have to see those every year or it's not Christmas to me. 

The floral arrangements are a mix of Canadian and Australian greens. Sweet vintage fawn from my pal Heather. Happy glass ball a gift from my friend Sarah.


Final notes. A huge thank you to Jana, of Rooted In Style, and Lori, of ChicGeek Designs for both doing a post featuring my work. Very sweet women. Love them. Check out their blogs for heaps of beautiful inspiration!

Have a fabulous day everyone!

22 comments:

briannelee said...

Very pretty decorations! Good luck w/ the cookies!

Dragonfly said...

Happy baking - sounds like fun!

Robe said...

Feliz Navidad!!

mise said...

Baking cookies on the news: that's so enviable. On our news here we have boring old violence and financial troubles. Good luck, and I wish I could tune in. Maybe you'll appear on youtube afterwards?

kate / tinywarbler said...

i can't wait to see it! (and taste them.....)

AnnaVallance said...

I was all set to make these last week when I saw them on one of my favourite blogs -Prettylulu. Never got around to it but after checking out another blog -forthestinkinbirds- cuccidati are pronounced goo-chi-data. I bought some figs so I am going to make them.

Pinecone Camp said...

Merci beaucoup, Anna!
Mise, oh believe me...we have heaps of bad news news too. I guess the cookie segments will lighten it all up a bit!

jan said...

oh you too! i'm looking forward to it!!!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

im going to see if i can catch it online.
the cookies sound delicious....i love figs, and italy.
good luck ~laura

c and d said...

you're going to be fabulous!! we'll be at the shop, do you know if there's anyway we can watch it later?
p.s. i always LOVE your 'snapshots' every one of them looks like it belongs behind a frame.

Laura [What I Like] said...

Your yo yos look to die for, and I have to admit I'm dying over the idea of an Italian fig cookie! I sounds extremely glamorous somehow.

Heather Cameron said...

it's to much fun to be nervous about. Plus, you have Karen to fill in any stumbles - the stumbles are what make it better anyway. Tell Karen to crouch down and just throw flour every where - it worked here for us! I wouldn't suggest she take off her pants like Lily did though.

Lori said...

Good luck with the baking! It sounds like a lot of fun!

I love that little fawn. How cute!

And thank you. :-)

Pooch Morning Glory said...

i couldnt find anywhere to watch a clip online but i did find the page with the recipes

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091216/bc_tamara_cookies_janis_nicolay_091218/20091218/?hub=BritishColumbiaWeather

they look awesome.
~laura

Jessica EVes said...

MMMMMMMmmm. This is all I can think about saying after reading this. I love the holidays and the baking that goes with it!
Happy Holidays,
Jessica Eves :)

vintagelaundress said...

Hope the baking was a success! I hope your holidays surrounded by the people you love - Merry Christmas!

koralee said...

Yummm...please send some of those over to my home. Not that I need to eat any more sweets..I am puffing up like a fat potato and it is not even Christmas day yet. Wishing you a wonderful week filled with love...peace...joy...family and friends.

Melissa Blake said...

Love your blog - and those cookies!

Kitty M said...

Delishhh looking little cookies - they look very sweet. Giggling away to myself with the piccie of the smiley christmas bauble ... that is so cute!

paula said...

what fun! oh, and I like the natural look too.

S and O said...

those ornaments are pretty:)
never heard of those cookies but they look tasty, good luck with your shoot!
xoxo,
Olivia

Federica said...

Wish you a very merry Christmas! I'll be back online early January.
Hugs & Love
Federica