Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday Observations

My husband, Robert, working on an installation for our new restaurant, The Union. Finally opening very soon!

Took a break at Dr. Sun Yat Sen garden in Chinatown, one of my favourite spots in Vancouver. I've mentioned this garden many times, but I have to brag a bit for them - they were chosen the number 1 city garden, in the world, by National Geographic in NG's new book, Secret Journeys of a Lifetime If you're in the Vancouver area on December 21st, you should check out the lantern festival - it's magical. 

Now, for a flashback to Saturday...

Popped by the Fieldstone Vintage Market in Abbotsford. The ladies of Birch and Bird, have once again put on a great event. If I hadn't broken a ball filled with feathers (top right), and sent the contents flying around, I would have stayed longer. Thanks to Twig for letting me off the hook. Sorry guys! 

We spent a day with our friend Paul Wood in his fantastic letterpress studio. Paul's an old pro at it, and my husband is pretty skilled too, so it was nice to be allowed to play with the big boys. Our cards are below....I did the little one, with the pinecone  ;)


Well, that was my weekend. What did you get up too? Anything festive?

Back soon!
Janis


17 comments:

Vintage Home said...

oh your pictures are wonderful...!
I don't know how you do all you do your energy is unlimited!
Thanks for coming on sat!

Razmataz said...

A restaurant????? did I miss this before or did you just throw that at us??

Lots going on for you...can;t wait to hear more.

I found some old letterpress blocks at a flea market..old advertising ones. I thought I could use them as stamps, but they are metal and don't ink well...next garage sale I guess. It is so interesting though, I love your cards.

Marisa Seguin said...

I'm going to miss the lantern festival by one day! Rats! Looks like you had a fantastic and creative weekend :) Mine involved a lot of baking (and eating).

Lady Grey said...

Your pictures make me happy. So beautiful!
That's so cool that you guys are opening a restaurant. What an exciting project. I can't wait to see more photos as it comes along.
xo

amy walters said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend Janis!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

wow sounds like a great weekend! lucky you with the letterpress. i'm so jealous!

lisaroyhandbags said...

You have the best weekends! How exciting about the restaurant! The garden looks lovely - I really need to visit Vancouver sometime - I've been across Canada but only west as far as Banff. So fun to play around with the letterpress - your card is so cute :)

les fifoles said...

Wonderful pictures here! Thank you for the visit and the sweet comment ;-))

A bientôt and good luck for the restaurant ;-))

Anne

number52letterpress said...

Thanks for a fun Saturday Janis. It was great to have you both out here.

You've inspired me to try to keep my blog rolling with more frequent updates. I've set up number52letterpress as my new blog home just to make things easier. Hope you'll join me there. Cheers.

tinyparticlesoflight said...

Wow, a restaurant? How exciting!!

Spending the day at a letterpress shop sounds divine.

xo
cortnie

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Lettepress shop? AWESOME! Also, those winter berries are so lovely. xx

Pinecone Camp said...

Thanks everyone, for you lovely comments! The Union, by the way, will be our 4th restaurant. Nuts, no? ;)

elisa said...

totally nuts ;D

i haven't been into the gardens for a few years, they are such a retreat.

now, i may corner all of you to let me have a go on the letterpress! looks like great fun. xx

LITTLE CHIEF said...

your life seems absolutely dreamy. thank you for a lovely post. : )

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

Your 4th restaurant? And you have time to visit markets and do letterpress cards yourself? You are amazing! Can't wait to see you again next week and thanks so much for coming out to Fieldstone on Saturday...wouldn't have been the same without you!

kevi said...

I have long loved your blog and your photography work, so it was great to meet you on Saturday! And please don't worry about the ornament :)!

Missing Goat said...

ah poop, I thought we had a date to go to this. I forgot - must be the lack of sleep and new puppy! I wish I could have gone too.