Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Baked


Hello all! How's your week going?

I baked some healthy(ish) cookies the other day. I'm still trying to use less wheat flour, and I have to admit, I do feel better for it, but I feel I may fall off the wagon soon. ;) I didn't feel half as bad when I realized I had eaten 6 while taking their portrait.  

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cookies - makes about 30

3/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon guar gum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 smooth peanut butter (I used unsweetened)
1/4 unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown rice crisp cereal (like a healthier version of rice crispies)
1 85g dark chocolate bar, chopped (milk chocolate is also pretty fantastic)
1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped (roast in a 350f oven for about 8 minutes)
a little milk for pressing out dough. 


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 
Whisk together, buckwheat flour, tapioca starch, guar gum, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, then peanut butter, and vanilla. Mix until just combined. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Fold in chocolate, cereal and peanuts. 




Roll tablespoons full into a ball, and place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Flatten slightly with a fork dipped in milk or water. Bake for about 15 minutes, until just starting to turn a golden colour. 
Place on a wire rack to cool. These are delicious, not too sweet, and addictive. I love the crispy bits.


Have a lovely day! Back soon,
Janis

14 comments:

amy walters said...

Oh Janis...these are deadly! PB and Chocolate are two of my favourite "foods" in the world! Sometimes I wonder if I could live off them alone ;) The photos add a double whammy! My mouth is watering!

Vintage Home said...

Thank you for sharing your pictures of the Gastown home!
I know you are probably thinking "not Colleen's style"...oh but really ..I could live there, maybe your photography just made it look extra special...but seriously...I love this space...swooning over the kitchen, the table..agghh.& the towel holder!
wow!
Oh Thanks so much for this receipe Janis! I can't wait to try it. We are really trying to cut down on the gluten & this is perfect!

PinkPanthress said...

They look delicious!
And I like the idea of mixing tapioca, peanuts & dark chocolate into this. *yüm*

My week? -Most terrible, period. :/

Lady Grey said...

I love the flavour of buckwheat, I bet these tasted delicious!

m.e (Cathie) said...

mmm Janis!! they look amazing.
our week here is good, back for a new school year.
hope your thursday is fabulous ♥

Helene @ Homebound said...

Janis, you always get me with your 'baked' posts. this one has me drooling again. i don't know when i ever get the chance to bake all your recipes... but that's what pinterest is for, i guess. ;-) have a lovely day. xo, helene

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

You had me at the post title! :)

Callie Grayson said...

These look absolutely delish!!! I love peanut butter. I love chocolate! Put them together and I am in heaven!!
Xx
Callie

Melissa said...

Those cookies look amazing! Love using real peanuts and the actual chocolate v how I normally would make similar cookies

barbara@hodge:podge said...

YUM! We are trying to eat less wheat here and these are perfect. Now where can I fin guar gum?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Will, I read the title and knew that i would like this recipe... and the beautiful picks! I'll be making these for me and the boys! Jason has a peanut allergy, and my mom already tried to kill him yesterday by giving him three nut filled cookies (oops!) so I won't be sharing with him. ;)

Pinecone Camp said...

Barbara, guar gum can be found at Choices, Whole Foods, or any organicky store. It's really cheap too ;)

Anon, your mom tried to kill your guy? ha, ha. Good luck with these. Maybe you can swap with another nut?

Will I would like to see a pic of you baking, one of these days ;)

Pink Panthress, what's up with the crappy week? Hope your weekend is better!

Thanks for all the great comments, everyone!

Briar {Sunday Collector} said...

I'm definitely going to try these - I can't pass anything up without peanut butter!!

Victory Paper Designs said...

Sounds delish! And love the styling with the chocolate bar and nuts