Monday, February 27, 2012

Baked


It's so nice to see sunshine this morning. Hello Monday! I hope you all had a great weekend. 

These coconut biscuits are the perfect weekend morning treat, and not too bad for you either. It's especially perfect when you happen to have all the ingredients in the cupboard. ;) I love the light coconut flavour, but the orange butter pushes them over the top. So. Good. 

Coconut Biscuits with Orange Butter - makes 9-12 biscuits

3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup coconut flour 
1/2 cup tapioca starch
2 tablespoons arrowroot starch or corn starch (I used arrowroot)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons guar gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean (seeds only), slit down the length, seeds scraped out.
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup coconut milk
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 375f /190c. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, tapioca starch, arrowroot, sugar, guar gum, baking powder and salt. Whisk until well combined. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients and add vanilla, eggs, butter and coconut milk. The dough should be fairly wet and sticky. 


Drop spoonfuls of dough on baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. I made mine a little larger this time, so I got 9 from this batch. 


Bake for about 15-20 minutes, depending on size, until golden brown on bottom and lightly coloured on top. Allow to cool a little, on a wire rack. Serve warm with orange butter. Mmmm. 


Orange Butter

about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of unsalted butter, softened
zest of one large orange (best to use organic when using zest)
about 1 tablespoon honey


Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. That's it! Easy. 


That's it for now! Have a lovely day. 

Back soon,
Janis




20 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Those biscuits... *mrow* they might be quite a treat at the end of a Sunday brunch.

And thnx for the orange butter recipe, I love mixing different ingredients into plain butter! You can never go wrong with it!

And that last image, you know how to present this... love the way the tiny butter bowl, on the plate in the corner, is off-centre yet visible enough for more it.
(I can't explain it better, but that's what I just like.) :D

LissyLou said...

Ooh delish!

elisa said...

oh oh! you've just reminded me that after the last time i made butter, i meant to make a variation with different flavours in! orange sounds like heaven. (as if i needed to eat more butter than i already am…or is there an upper limit?) x

amy walters said...

I love a good biscuit...I'm totally intrigued by the coconut! Sounds positively delightful Janis!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I don't care if it's almost midnight I could ate these right NOW! So good! xo

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

I agree! It's fabulous to wake up to a sunny day!! This year is kicking last year's butt as far as sunshine goes! ;)

Tania Ramonde said...

I fell in love when you said orange butter.

TO THE KITCHEN!!!

Helene @ Homebound said...

oh my this sounds and looks really yummy, so good indeed i want to eat all of them right now. great idea with the orange butter. weekend was lovely and hoping the week continues like this... have a great week Janis. xo Helene

lisaroyhandbags said...

yum! you've got me craving coconut now!

Anne@A Little Fur in the Paint said...

Love your blog! I'm a new follower...so nice to "meet" you! ♥
Best,
Anne

tinyparticlesoflight said...

Coconut biscuits?? YES, please! - I'm also glad to see that making orange butter is a snap!

Love your wonderful wooden spoons.

xo
cortnie

Lady Grey said...

these look so good! I've never even thought about putting coconut in a biscuit before, but it sounds brilliant! I will definitely be trying these : )

xo

shellie said...

oh my goodness janis those look heavenly and then some!!

Diana Mieczan said...

This is simply perfect for today! Just looking at your photos I'm getting super hungry:) I've never had coconut biscuits with orange butter before...Hmm..Must make them soon. YUM! Have a wonderful day. xo

Laura Bear said...

goodness I wish I was eating these right now!!!!

Briar {Sunday Collector} said...

Yum!! Anything with coconut gets be every time. And add orange butter?? 3 please!

the southern hostess said...

These are right up my taste bud alley. I'll have to try them!

Jeanny said...

the biscuits look delicious. <3 oh, and beautiful, too <3

happy day,
jeanny

Tan said...

Orange butter? Really? YUM!
I think it would be fun to be a gourmet butter maker and have all sorts of amazing butter flavours. If I didn't have other schemes up my sleeve (and wanted to get into the food industry) I'd start that up

Pinecone Camp said...

Tan, the orange butter really is delicious. Someone should start a flavoured butter business!