Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Baked


I haven't done much baking these days. Life has been a touch hectic, and I've been working on on The Butter cookbook, with Rosie Daykin, so I really haven't needed to bake!  Thank you Rosie for all the cupcakes, cookies, and bars ;) I did need a little something, the other day, when I was trying to sort out my office (after the tax year end fiasco). These fixed my orange cookie craving for the day. The recipe has been adapted from Alice Medrich's recipe in Pure Dessert.

Buckwheat Orange Cookies - makes about 60 (if using a 1.5 inch cookie cutter)

1 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix (or regular all purpose flour)
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon guar gum (only if using gluten free flour)
8 oz unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
rind of two medium oranges (make sure to use organic oranges)
1 teaspoon vanilla


Sift the flours together into a medium size bowl. In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar together, until smooth and creamy. Stir in the orange rind and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and mix until a dough forms. Split the dough in half and flatten out each piece, then wrap in plastic wrap. Chill over night. 


When ready to bake cookies, preheat oven to 350f/180c. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut out shapes and place about 1 inch apart, on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until just slightly browned on the edges. 



Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack, and allow to cool completely. You can eat them as is (delicious), but I had some white chocolate, so I melted it, along with a splash of cream, in a saucepan over low heat. I drizzled the chocolate over the cooled cookies. Extra delicious. 


Have you baked with buckwheat before? Though it's name sounds wheaty, it isn't, so it's perfect if you're aiming for a gluten free diet. It also tastes so flipping good, and is better for you too (I'm trying!). 

Have a good day! Back soon.
Janis 

7 comments:

Jan Halvarson said...

yummers!

Karena said...

Oh sounds and looks so delish!! Especially with the white chocolate! Yum!

I have a feature Interview and Giveaway on my site with Tina from The Enchanted Home...I hope you will visit

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Amy Walters said...

Loving that white and floral enamel pot you have Janis. Sooooo cute.

Violet Boutique said...

I've never tried buckwheat before (also aiming to cut back on the white flour). These look like the perfect treat - I'm guessing the white chocolate is key!

Pretty floral pot!

PinkPanthress said...

I think I might have used buckwheat before, but I am most definitely sure that is wasn't for sweets.

I guess it would taste good though!? ;)

Birch + Bird said...

I've been trying hard to cut back on wheat flour and this sounds like the perfect sweet treat to try buckwheat with...yummm!
~Lily

AnnaVallance said...

Those cookies look great! And that china is what I grew up with and now have been collecting. So nice!