Monday, May 14, 2012

Baked

I hope you had a great weekend. Were you mothers out there, treated like queens? We had a quiet one around here, filled with a little work and a short baking session. Made a cake for my mom. Super simple and delicious.


Lemon Almond Cake with Coconut - makes one 8 inch cake

1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs + one egg white
4 oz. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Zest of one large lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Unsweetened coconut for top of cake

Lemon Glaze:

1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
To make the glaze: in a small bowl, mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice. 

Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Grease and line the bottom of an 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper and set aside. 


In a large bowl, whisk together almond meal, rice flour, baking soda, baking powder and sugar. With an electric mixer, beat the eggs in another large bowl, until foamy. Add the buttermilk and butter, and beat until combined. 
Beat in the lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, a little at a time, and beat for about 2 minutes. 




Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, carefully invert cake onto a cake plate or stand. Top with a thin coat of lemon glaze and sprinkle with unsweetened coconut.  


Have a great day! Back on Wednesday.
janis








17 comments:

Razmataz said...

I love lemony almondy things....must try this.

Mother's day was a disaster so maybe next weekend!

Marisa Seguin said...

Sounds like the perfect cake for summer!

Vintage Home said...

What a wonderful treat you have made for your mom!
Such a sweet (tooth!) daughter you are!
We where together as a family ..went to Yarrow for breakfast @ the Grill! and on to Cultus Lake for a walk in the water with the grandpuppy!
Seems I have been away too long herre ...your pictures are so beautiful & alive!
Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment!
We will see each other soon!

Amy Walters said...

Mmm....beautiful styling Janis. I love lemon desserts. This one looks right up my alley.
Hope you have a lovely week. xo

Karena said...

Janis two of my favorite flavors!! Yum!

It was a wonderful weekend!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Journey Inland said...

My stomach just gurgled a million times over 'cause that looks so delicious. Added to my long list of baking that I need to crack on with!

Helene @ Homebound said...

i just LOOOOOOOOOVE your baked posts...

the southern hostess said...

Oh, it's so pretty! And I love all ingredients involved.

Inspire Me Heather said...

Your beautiful photos make that look so yummy - thanks!

PinkPanthress said...

I guess the lemon & coconut must have given it a 'summery' taste!
and the cake looks so petite, it makes me want to hug it instead eating it. :D

I ain't a mother so I didn't get spoiled... and my own mother wasn't feeling well so father & us 'kids' just couldn't do our annual Mothersday-brunch, which we've been doing for over 30 years.

P.S.: I so adore that wooden Cake-server! :3

Christine Martin said...

gorgeous photos. and i love anything lemony. thanks.

Birch + Bird said...

You had me at lemon...and then at almond and coconut! Looks and sounds beyond delicious...what a lucky mom you have! Let's catch up soon :)
~Lily

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm.... I love lemon anything and this looks so delicious. Your gorgeous photos don't hurt either xo

Danielle Hardy said...

I have no idea how you stay so teeny tiny!! your baking looks delicious!!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

oh yum, that is my kind of cake! i love anything lemon.

lots of bubbles here on my mothers day and friends over for lunch.

hope the week is being kind to you darl xx

Carole said...

Very similar to my Italian Cream Cake. When making it for a b-day celebration yesterday, I actually wondered what it might be like with a hint of lemon.

tinyparticlesoflight said...

LOVE lemon and coconut!

And I also love the new banner - it looks great!

xo
cortnie