Thursday, November 8, 2012

Baked


The week has flown by. Where did it go? Hope you've had a good week so far!

Since we're heading into party season, thought I'd share one of my fave appetizer recipes. It involves a nut crust, as I prefer that over a traditional crust (a little healthier too, unless you're allergic to nuts!), and it has way more flavour as well.  Party snacks are my favourite way of eating, but sadly not everyday is a party ;)

Mediterranean Tarts with a Nut Crust - makes 24 mini tarts

Crust:
3 cups almond meal
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons water

Filling:
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1- 5oz container of baby spinach
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (if you use jarred tomatoes in oil, drain oil first)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten

To make crust:
Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with oil and set aside.
Whisk together the almond meal, salt, baking soda and parsley in a large bowl. Stir in the oil and water and mix together until well combined and clumps together without crumbling apart. Break off small pieces and press into each muffin cup. Bake for about 10 minutes until just starting to brown. Allow to cool before filling.



To make filling:
Saute the onion in a little oil, over medium heat, for about 5 minutes until starting to brown. Add the spinach and tomatoes and cook for a few minutes until spinach is wilted. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then stir in cheese. Stir in the spinach mixture and combine well. Spoon into each crust and bake for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned on sides and cooked through. Try to save some for your guests. They're so good.




Do you prefer a traditional crust? Have you made a nut crust? Let me know! 

janis










10 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Looks yummy, but I wonder... could I use normal tomatoes instead of the dried ones?

I do not know which I might prefer since I never tried the nut crust. I like tasty suprises though.

the southern hostess said...

Those are little beauties! I don't think I've ever had a nut crust. I'll have to try it.

Pinecone Camp said...

Pink Panthress, you could use regular tomatoes and do try the nut crust. Yum.

Southern Hostess, let me know what you think...if you give them a whirl.

Meesh @ I Dream of Chairs said...

These look SO good. I've not tried a crusty nut...I mean nutty crust before. ;) I may have to try it out.

Deanne Langford said...

I love the look of these, I really must do a nut crust, I am sure it tastes nicer than GF pastry even if it is homemade!

Preciously Me said...

Wow those small tarts look so yummy yummy!!!
I think I'll try this recipe very soon ;)

homeboundtheheartoflife said...

these look and sound amazing. i have to make them {still have to find the time}. i never made a nut crust before but i will give it a try. thanks for this lovely recipe Janis, this is pin worthy. have a rad weekend, xo.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

A little taste of summer to get us through these colder months - love it, Janis! :) x

elisa said...

i'll pass these on to the grainless-eaters in my family, they look glorious. i used to make nut crusts for pies, avoiding wheat. really delicious!

the week's gone - let's see if we can catch the next one! xx

FightingFlare said...

Thank you so much for this recipe post! I have been using your crust with great success for full-sized quiches. Here's a link to a post I ust did about them... http://fightingflare.typepad.com/my-blog/2014/02/almond-flour-quiche.html Love your blog too! So glad I found it. xo