Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Baked


Happy Wednesday! Hope you're having a good week.

I baked my mom's "wacky" cake for her birthday, this past weekend, and thought I'd share it with you...in case you've never heard of it. This was the go-to cake, when we were kids, for the smaller occasions such as St. Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, etc. The only thing that would change, would be the colour of the butter icing (pink for Valentine's Day, green for St. Patrick's Day. I think you get the picture.) My sister, Wendy, dug out the recipe for me. She had it in her childhood recipe book and had given it a 2 star rating out of 3, at the time ;)

Wacky Cake - makes one 8"x8" square or round cake. I doubled this recipe to make 2 rounds. 

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar (I only used 1 cup total when doubling recipe)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vinegar
5 tablespoons margarine, melted
1 cup water

To Make cake:
Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly grease pan with spray oil, and line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.


Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa into a large bowl. Add the sugar and whisk together. Make three "wells" in dry mixture. Mix the vinegar and melted margarine together and pour evenly into the three wells. Pour the water over top and stir to combine well. Pour batter into pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer, inserted in centre of cake, comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.


Orange Meringue Icing

1 cup berry/caster sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons pure orange extract


Combine the sugar, water and cream of tartar in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 3 minutes. In a medium bowl, beat 3 egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar mixture, while still beating, then orange extract, and continue beating for another 3 minutes until thick and glossy.


I love this cake.  Have you made a version of this cake before?

Have a lovely day!
janis










15 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

This Wacky Cake looks delicious!

I think I never made icing myself, always using this kind of 'instant'-ish stuff, but this looks so easy, even to me!
Also, love the addition of orange into the mix. :)

briannelee said...

Why is it called Wacky cake? ;)

Looks yummy!!!

dahlhaus said...

Wacky cake is so great when you need a quick cake and you don't have eggs or milk in the fridge. Super fast, nice and tasty!

Pinecone Camp said...

Brianne, I would say it's "wacky" due to the lack of dairy in it, plus the addition of vinegar. It's so good!

shellie said...

this looks fantastic. i have tried to make frosting like this with very terrible results. i should probably give it a whirl again. :)

Teeny said...

I made this as a kid! Thanks for the throwback:)

Meesh @ I Dream of Chairs said...

I've never heard of "wacky" cake. The choco-orange combo sounds so yummy, I'm bookmarking this for my brother's b-day in March. Thanks!

Le BHCH said...

it should be double yum cake :) le xox

lisaroyhandbags said...

Yum! Yum! I need to make this. Now.

lyndsay said...

beautiful cake, the meringue frosting looks so fluffy... gorgeous photos as always janis! i've made a fair share of wacky cakes due to their vegan-ness! (back when my husband was vegan... :)

i seem to vaguely recall the history of the cake had to do with the depression and lack of eggs and dairy. even in dark times people found a way to make their cake...?!


happy birthday to your mom!

lyndsay said...

PS love how your photos tell a lovely little story in such a simple way... with the candles blown out at the end... !

Jan Halvarson said...

funny - i thought it was named wacky cake because it is a fun and wacky way to make a cake! we mixed ours right in the baking pan - which is even wackier!

Pinecone Camp said...

Jan, my mom made it all in the pan too-I had been corrected since I posted this! Ha ha.
Lyndsay that's what I had been told as well. I would have thought sugar and cocoa would have been even pricier! Thanks for your lovely comment.
Shellie, try it again! Super easy. Believe me, if I can do it you can do it ;)

Vintage Home said...

Fabulous!...yummy!

Heather Cameron said...

Is that like 7minute frosting? I love that icing, but added up your minutes and it seems more like 9 minutes. Who cares, just wish I had a piece right now as I sit next to my sick girl.