Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Toronto Observations


I have to start by saying, I love Toronto. Such a great city. I was out there with the boys of Evoke (my husband and brother) for business. We checked out the Interior Design Show,and I caught up with a few editors that I work with all the time, but never see. Here's a little bit of my trip....



We checked out world renowned graphic designer's, Stefan Sagmeister's, The Happy Show at the Design Exchange. I left feeling, well, happy. If you're in the Toronto area, you should pop by!


The 24 hour diner at Thompson Hotel, where we stayed, in a mini blizzard. Neon glowing through snow, is a happy sight.


Met Suzanne Dimma, editor-in-chief of House and Home, for lunch. So nice to catch up with her. Here she is, busy at work on the next issue. Looked like a good one ;)

If you like taxidermy, you will love Weslodge. It's everywhere in this modern saloon style restaurant. To be honest, we didn't eat there, but did saddle up to the bar for a drink. Great atmosphere, decor, and they make a good cocktail. 


We had taken the red-eye to Toronto, and arrived at 7:30am. Ouch. Ended up going for an early lunch at Wvrst, which is pretty much a sausage palace. We opted for the veggie sausages....they were delicious. You can choose from a huge selection of sausages, then decide if you'd like a bun or have it served with curry. Simple and easy. 

The Common Thread, an installation by Quadrangle Architects, was one of the exhibits at the "Come Up To My Room" event at the Gladstone Hotel. For more info click here

Another installation at "Come Up To My Room. This was designed by Brothers Dressler
the masters of using reclaimed, found and responsibly harvested materials. 

That was a bit of a whirlwind! I also recommend checking out...
Patria: - a fantastic restaurant. Incredible food and service but it's the stunning, and massive, cross-stitched wall that really got me. 
Pizza Libretto: I don't think I've ever had better pizza. They make a true Neapolitan pizza and it's a great space to hang out in too. It was packed the afternoon we popped by, but we managed to squeeze in at the bar. Great value too! 

For some images of the Interior Design Show (IDS 2013), I posted several over at Poppytalk.


Have a great day!
janis







19 comments:

Razmataz said...

I think you covered a lot of territory known to me. I was married at City Hall, moved my daughter into the Gladstone Hotel after she was flooded out of her condo and my brother lives at the Thompson Hotel. Haven;t tried the sausage place though.

I would love to meet Suzanne Dimma. I think she has brought such a fresh edge to H & H.

Lisa Mackay said...

Holy Hannah - you were BUSY! Fanstastic photos, I am so glad you had a good time. :)

the southern hostess said...

I was thinking the same thing! You did a lot. Gorgeous photos as always.

Meesh @ I Dream of Chairs said...

My, oh my, you did cover a lot of ground! All this and IDS. BTW - I really enjoyed your post on Poppytalk covering IDS 2013.

Amy Walters said...

Aaaamazing! Wvrst sounds amazing...sausages with curry? Yes, please...especially after a red-eye flight ;)
Everything looks so beautiful through your lens...even the mini-blizzard, which in real life, isn't always so magical. But here? Breathtaking.

Thanks for sharing Janis. Welcome back!

Yelle said...

That restaurant/bar definitely looks like my style! Love the da Vinci painting!

Sandra said...

Missing Toronto big time!

And...tomorrow's post is about Sagmeister - he did the keynote at Alt Summit. Amazing in person.

The man arrives in Toronto on the last day of the exhibit and is going straight to the Design Exchange to see it!

Sandra said...

Missing Toronto big time!

And...tomorrow's post is about Sagmeister - he did the keynote at Alt Summit. Amazing in person.

The man arrives in Toronto on the last day of the exhibit and is going straight to the Design Exchange to see it!

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

What fun! Looks like a whirlwind but well worth it from your beautiful shots! Just checked out the IDS pics on Poppytalk too...love the outdoor patio and Ikea kitchen especially!

Jan Halvarson said...

wow - love that neon in the snow - such a great sho! can't believe all that you did and a big thank you for the pics from the show - you are super human amazing! :)

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Loving the industrial decor of Wvrst! Looks like a fab trip. Love the diner shot, too! x

lisaroyhandbags said...

I'm homesick! All of those fantastic installations and food places - two of the things i miss about working downtown Toronto. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Suzanne but did meet Cobi Ladner years ago and she's every bit as nice as she seemed in the mag. Would love to meet up with you someday! xo

Karen Albert said...

Janis, I love Toronto though I have been there only once. The exhibits and restaurants you recommend sound and look amazing!

xoxo
Karena
2013 Artists Series

kate / tinywarbler said...

great pics janis! you guys sure were busy....... ;)

Rosa @ Flutter Flutter said...

I love Toronto, but I haven't been for two years now... it's time! :) Great pics!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

wow! busy trip! but sounds amazing and looks fantastic too. I just love that image of the diner. That would look awesome blown up huge!! have a lovely weekend darl, hope you get some relaxation time xx

elisa said...

i was there once for an exhibition, only my memory is considerably blurred by the six month old who accompanied us. that happiness exhibition looks fabulous. x

Jordana @WhiteCabana said...

That is such a lovely photo of City Hall under the snow.

La Boheme said...

Love this post! Looks like you are staying busy and doing well my friend! Happy rest of the week to you, xoxo