Monday, November 22, 2010

Baked On Monday - Lemon Sandwich Baubles


Did you all have a good weekend? It snowed here in Vancouver, which it doesn't do often in November. Looks so pretty. Love it. It did make me realize that I do not have appropriate footwear for this weather. Must do something about that.

Time to get a bit more festive with the baking.  I've made Lemon Sandwich Baubles today, from a recipe I found in Canadian Living - a special Christmas cookie issue. They are addictive....and sparkly.  Bonus.

Lemon Sandwich Baubles - makes about 36 cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup coarse sugar
Yellow food colouring

Filling:
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
Yellow food colouring

In a large bowl, rub sugar with lemon rind; beat in butter until light and fluffy. Beat in cornstarch and salt. Stir in flour to make dough (I used my hands for this bit).


In a small bowl, tint coarse sugar with food colouring to desired yellow. Scoop dough by 1 teaspoon and roll into balls. Coat in coloured sugar.



Bake, 1 inch apart, on parchment paper lined baking sheets in 325f/160c oven. Bake for about 12 minutes, until firm and golden brown on bottoms. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.

Filling: In bowl, beat together icing sugar, butter, lemon juice and lemon rind. Tint to desired yellow. Pipe about 1/2 teaspoon on bottom half of cookies, and sandwich with remaining cookies.


I think these would be great in a small jar with a vintage decoration attached as a gift for party guests. Yes? No?


Now as for the draw for the calender.....
The winner of my 2011 calendar and print give-away is......
Random Counter # 8 - My Flying Ducks
Kylie C said...What a lovely giveaway! I can't decide between 'Walk' and 'Shanghai alley' - if I win, I'll make a choice! :)

Congratulations Kylie! Looks like you have to make a choice now ;)

Thanks for everyone who took part! I loved it. If you need a calendar, and you are not the lucky winner, I do have a few here. ;)

Back soon! Have a great day.

34 comments:

greenbeenfood said...

yum they look beautiful! anything lemon and i am usually there!

LAURA!!! said...

oh wow those are pretty! I'll be printing this recipe, as I love the idea of these as a gift! Thanks!

birdie blue said...

those look a m a z i n g l y delicious. I think they would make perfect party favors. i love everything with lemon.

xo
~molly

Amanda said...

i have that magazine & i've challenged myself to make all the cookies out of it (but not in time for the holidays, i don't have a death wish or anything)! indeed, i was planning a blog update for tomorrow since i made the ginger & toblerone shortbreads yesterday (mmmmmm).

these lemon baubles have to be the most gorgeous cookies in the whole magazine though! can't wait to try them!

(need more flour first & salt-less butter)

jan said...

i love lemon anything! these sound delicious!

Marina said...

These baubles are fantastic Janis!
Thanks for the recipe ... I think I'll get my girls to try making them ... and thanks for sharing.
Happy week to you ;))

kate / tinywarbler said...

yum, those looks good! and they remind me of pretty snowballs, perfect after this weekend!

Natasha said...

these look and sound delicious, and how cute are they too?!

christine, just bella said...

Sparkly cookies!? I love them and I love that adorable dish too.

mel said...

how fun - i have that same magazine and am making these x10 for a bake swap my friends are having this weekend. anything you would change or alter?
after looking at the first contents page i knew i was making these. i hope they tasted as good as they look too :)

Kylie C said...

Ooooooh, lucky me!

Ok, the print I select is 'Walk'. I will email you my details!

Dawn said...

Congrats to the winner:))
And those Lemon yummies look almost too beautiful to eat! YES! Would make a wonderful hostess gift, friend gift, any gift!!!!

Lady Grey said...

those cookies are beautiful! So snowy and festive... I LOVE 'em!

Robe said...

I love the snow!!! The cold, not so much.

shellie said...

And my meyer lemon tree has lemons on it as we speak....i am so making these tomorrow....i try to stay away from your baking posts...but sometimes its sooo hard!

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm I'll definitely be making these - anything lemon is my favourite! I heard that it snowed there - we haven't had any snow in Muskoka yet but I'm sure by the end of the week we will!
Thanks for your thoughtful comments over the past couple of weeks - it meant a lot and even though we Canadians have had our Thanksgiving, I definitely have a lot to be thankful for! :)

brismod said...

These biscuits look like a perfect gift for someone who likes home-baked goodies. Great idea to put them in a jar with vintage decoration too. xx

Jane @ the girl in the brick house said...

Great blog and your recipes are very enticing!
I'm your new follower!

Stay-At-Home-Chef said...

These look so delicious and festive! Will definitely be making them for the holidays.

tamara said...

OMG...I want.

Millie said...

What a great idea, but these will have to wait until MOTH replaces the crazy, demented oven I currently struggle with for a new sparkly one in next year's big kitchen reno. here @ The Hedge. Our weather is finally getting warmer, in fact I've got the flip-flops on as I type this!
Millie ^_^

heavenwildfleur said...

they look like they could go on a tree! very festive! it's going to snow here in london too this week :( not looking forward to the cold and wet.

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

oh that measuring cup takes me back to cokking as a little girl, my grandmother had one! i do so love your images, just perfect xx

monkeemoomoo said...

Ooooh, these look so good. I'm off to eat breakfast now, but I wish I was eating these instead. Hopefully I'll have time to make them on the weekend.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Diana said...

Yes, I would make them if only for their sparkliness. Love that ornament too!

Pooch Purple Reign said...

the sugar looks like crystals. love it
~laura

the southern hostess said...

These are adorable! I'm kind of in love.

sarah, flourish design + style said...

I adore anything lemon.. mmm. They sure are cute too! xo

S and O said...

Yumo! I'm gonna have to make some of these for Christmas gifts :D

Xoxo
Sarah

Vikki said...

AGH! I feel like i haven't been by to visit you in forever! I forgot to take down a lot of my buddies before they closed the BYW forums, but I'm slowly finding everyone :)

Man, do I wish I found this recipe earlier this week! I'm attending Nathalie-Roze's Crafternoon Tea tomorrow here in TO, and I would have loved to have made these for her charity tea! My simple shortbreads will havta do :P

Lovin' the Christmas Prep! All systems go here at 406 as well ;)

Pinecone Camp said...

I hope some of you have given these little baubles a go - they couldn't be more festive!
I've been out of action all week, so I will be catching up with all of your worlds this week - can't wait!
janis

BALLET NEWS said...

oh yes please ! They look too good to eat...

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

they just look beautiful...happy to visit here today

kary and teddy
xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh my these are soooo good!! I had lots of coarse sugar and frosting left over. I used some pink and yellow sugar sprinkles I had in the cupboard and the cookies look gorgeous! Thank you!