Monday, November 1, 2010

Baked On Monday - Short Black Cupcakes


Hope you all had a good weekend. Did you partake in Halloween festivities? Candy corn?

I've made Short Black Cupcakes today. A nice mix of chocolate with coffee icing. Even if you don't love coffee, I think you'll love this mocha combo. Mmmmm.

Short Black Cupcakes - makes about 48 mini cupcakes


4 1/2 oz/ 125g softened unsalted butter
3/4 cup berry (caster) sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
3 1/2 oz/100g dark chocolate, melted




Coffee icing

1 cup berry (caster) sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons instant coffee
3 egg whites


Preheat oven to 320f/160c. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift over the flour, baking powder, and cocoa and beat until combined. Fold through the milk and melted chocolate. Spoon the batter into two 24 hole cupcake tins either greased or lined with mini cupcake papers (I didn't have those on hand today!).  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until skewer, placed in centre of cupcake, comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the icing, place the sugar, water, cream of tartar and coffee in a saucepan over high heat, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 3 minutes. Place the egg whites in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. While still beating, add the sugar mixture and beat until thick and glossy. Spread the icing over the cupcakes with a palette knife.
Serve with coffee and eat up!


That's it for today. Enjoy the day! Back soon.
Janis

34 comments:

Cristina said...

wow... they look so delicious....
:-) could I ask what camera do you use to take your pics? they are always very "clean"... I am considering (after I accepted that my physical strength would not sustain a Nikon SLR), to buy a lumix gf1... may i ask for your thoughts (if any) or ideas... thnx

m.e (Cathie) said...

you know I don't eat cupcakes but your pics make me want to take a bite..absolutely beautiful ♥

Jenn said...

Those looks amazing! You can never go wrong with espresso+chocolate, in my opinion :)

koralee said...

Please send a few my way...I could use one with my tea! I could probably zip to your home and be back in time to take my Syd to ballet....xoxo

Happy November!

Marisa Midori said...

These look de-lish! Love that cupcake stand.

Pinecone Camp said...

Koralee, please do come and take some! I've already eaten 6.

Cathie, really, it's all about the coffee icing!

Cristina, no matter what camera you have, you'll always have to work a little magic with it in post production. Having a great camera certainly helps, and I hear that the Lumix is very good. My pal has one and he swears by it.

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

I one of those weird people who doesn't like coffee but these sure do look yummy!

lisaroyhandbags said...

These sound and look awesome! Your plate stand looks like one of those pretty vintage ones I saw at the flea market - so pretty! :)

LAURA!!! said...

Oh my those look so cute and yummy!

Flo said...

They look famous... But not angry after 2 days in the kitchen to prepate meals for 20 personns for the birthday of Elia...

zigsma said...

They look deelishus!!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Coffee icing, wow!

P.S. That Donna Hay supplement is beyond good, it's BRILLIANT! xo

Lady Grey said...

these look amazing (as does that rich black coffee)!
I always love your photos : )
oxo

fatfatsheep said...

They look fab! And so adorably cute, can you send me one..?
; )

fatfatsheep said...

Or two..?

briannelee said...

Yum, coffee icing! I never thought of that. I will have to try it.

the southern hostess said...

These are adorable! I'm certain I'd eat about a dozen.

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

I need a lesson in icing! I made yummy pumpkin cupcakes this weekend but they look far to pathetic to photograph :(

Kitty M said...

Mmmm :-) My mouth is watering Janis! Hope you have a great week and lots of French interior photos over on Dolliedaydream this week and a Gite I am sure you would love if you ever have the opportunity to visit France one day x

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

yum yum bubblegum!
a minute in the mouth
a year on the bum!
x

shellie said...

those look delicious....i love coffee and when combined with cupcakes how can one go wrong?....i made a pineapple upside down cake and forgot to photograph it....so i guess i will just have to make another....it was heavenly!

jan said...

And there's that coffee too! Oh this looks so good! : ) Where is that in your place?

Emma said...

I had to look twice at that glass of coffee and then check the recipe...the crema is so amazing I thought maybe it was Guinness! Delicious.

kate / tinywarbler said...

yum! those looks so good, i want one. or two. or three.
it would even be worth the coffee crazies i know i would get.

Maria said...

I always love to see what you've baked every week...they look scrumptious!

AnastasiaC said...

these look SO good!! yum!

Missing Goat said...

I'll be seeing you in the morning - but will I be seeing any of these? I will now pray...

Aspiring Kennedy said...

these are the cutest, i am going to make them for an upcoming brunch in oxford.

and, i love you for putting the measurements in both metric and US.

Bethany Dirksen said...

They are so baby! I love them without even tasting them.

I just stumbled across your blog for the first time and thought I would say hello! I looked through a few of your posts and love your style. I think you have a phenomenal eye for photography. It is an art that makes everyone feel like they can do it (especially with the cameras these days), but you can really tell when someone "gets it."

I'm a blogger as well, about the world of art. Hope we get to see more of each other in the future.

Bethany
www.DirksenDabbles.com

BALLET NEWS said...

is there anything better than a cupcake !!!!

the chirpy bird said...

oh drooool! Just love me some coffee icing!
xo tash

mise said...

They look exquisite, and absolutely beautifully presented.

Millie said...

Love anything coffee - wish YSL made coffee lipstick! Thank you Janis for your sweet comment over @ The Hedge's 600th post, it meant a lot.
Millie ^_^

Jas. said...

I couldn't see your email anywhere, but I wanted to let you know I've borrowed one of the above images and used it, with credits, in a post for last minute christmas baking ideas. please email me jas [@] glutenfreescallywag.com if you'd like me to remove it!

Merry Christmas