Monday, November 29, 2010

Baked On Monday - Sugar Cookie Mittens and Snowballs


I'm back. After a week of major appliance break downs (washer, dryer and dishwasher), and 2 last minute shoots, I'm ready to bake.  Let's see how the rest of the week pans out.

I've had this recipe forever. It was from an old Martha Stewart magazine, and the recipe was from one of the editor's mothers. I wish I had her name, but I don't have the actual issue. I've chosen to make mittens and snowballs, but you can use any shape you like (I'm sure you already worked that out!) I use sanding sugar for sugar cookies as I just don't love the taste of royal icing. If I'm using them as decorations, then royal icing is the way to go. I plan to eat these ones ;)

Sugar Cookie Mittens and Snowballs - makes about 3 dozen


3 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup sour cream
Sanding sugar and food colouring.

Sift together flour, nutmeg, salt and baking soda. Set aside. Cream butter, then add sugar gradually; beat until fluffy. Stir in egg and sour cream, then stir in dry ingredients. I use my hands for that part!
Separate dough into two balls and flatten then wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour.



Heat oven to 350f/180c. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4 inch. Cut out shapes using any cookie cutter you like, then sprinkle with sanding sugar* (if using). Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
* add a tiny drop of colouring to sanding sugar to get the colour you want.




That's it for today! Back again soon.
Janis

24 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

oh my...those are just darling...love them

HAPPY to visit here today, my friend

kary and teddy
xxx

jan said...

oh yum! now that's my kind of snowball fight!

Pinecone said...

These look so sweet! I love the colors.

Ashlyn

LAURA!!! said...

OH those turned out cute! Reminds me of Michigan (where I grew up) :)

hayden said...

I *was* reading through kind of uninterested until my eye caught the word "nutmeg". Now I'm intrigued.

Natasha said...

Sugar cookies make think of Christmas as a kid. I like the mittens, too cute!

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm freshly grated nutmeg! love the mitten and snowball idea.
sorry to hear of your appliance problems! you mean all of them conked out at the same time?
my dishwasher is acting up - it only turns on once in a while so most of the time I have to go flick the breaker switch for it to turn on... hmmm

Dawn said...

Oh. Sorry about the breakdowns. Never fun.
But Oh you made up for it with mittens:))) I love this- great idea!!!!

Pinecone Camp said...

I love a good simple sugar cookie, with the added bonus of nutmeg and sour cream. Hayden, I'm happy to know the "nutmeg" kept you reading!
Yes, Lisa, appliances did kick the bucket en masse. $$$. Pretty much sums up this week now.

the chirpy bird said...

Yuuumm!!! I love freshly grated nutmeg! And I love the mitten shaped cookies! Sorry to hear about your appliance breakdown though... Nothing like that to throw a spanner in the works! Not long now until you're off to Aus right?
xox tash

Lynn said...

Janis, it's happiness to find your blog and see you are a fellow Vancouverite! plus a Poppytalk contributor too. wow is what!

these cookies look so yummy, it's always "go time" for me when i see sprinkles.

i'll be following you from now on. ♥

pea ess: cutest header and blog name, love it.

Diana said...

Cutest cookie cutter shape ever! Also, is that a real nutmeg seed? I've never seen one!

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

Yu...u...u...mmmmm! Mental note: take butter out of the fridge tonight!!!

Marisa Midori said...

Mmm I love the taste of fresh grated nutmeg! Very cute with the coloured sugar.

Vikki said...

JANIS! Where did you get your mitten cookie cutter??? Would go perfect with my mitten tags, and a perfect treat to share! :D

http://buoybird.com/2010/11/29/be-an-angel-baker/

love all the baking! :) keep em coming!

Vikki said...

ps: excuse the blatant link; just wanted to show ya the tags :)

Jenn said...

So cute! I loooovvvee sugar cookies ... there's something so comforting about them.

sunday collector said...

Everything you make is just so damn beautiful!

Pooch Purple Reign said...

you really have a way in presentation !! you could make anybody wamt them!
these are totally cute
~laura

kate / tinywarbler said...

ack! my favourite cookies!! are there any left? ;)

Kitty M said...

Cute cookie cutters - I could do with some mittens for the snow at the moment! Happy week x

c and d said...

beautiful. and sounds like an amazing recipe! i just happen to have sour cream in the fridge...but the fresh nutmeg - may have to run out for.
sorry to hear about your appliance breakdown..not great.

mixc said...

That mitten cutter is my favourite... I usually save it for Christmas, but this year I made it for Halloween. Like your sparkly ones!

fatfatsheep said...

Love these little mittens, they are so cute!
Where can you buy..?
; )