Monday, January 24, 2011

Baked - Coconut Bread


Hello Monday! Hope you all had nice weekends. I baked a loaf of Coconut Bread from the fantastic Bills cookbook, yesterday. It's the perfect Sunday morning (or any morning) treat!

Coconut Bread - makes one loaf, 8-10 slices (depending on how greedy you are)


2 eggs
300 ml (10 oz) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup berry (caster or superfine) sugar
150g (5 oz) shredded coconut
75 g (2 1/2 oz) melted unsalted butter


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Together, lightly whisk eggs, milk, and vanilla.
Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl, then add coconut and sugar and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre, and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined. Add melted butter and stir until mixture is just smooth, but be careful not to over mix.



Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 1/2"x4" (21cm x 10cm) loaf tin and bake for about 1 hour, or until a skewer, inserted in bread, comes out clean.
Leave in tin to cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices, and serve toasted with butter. Outrageously good.


Happy Monday! Back on Wednesday.
janis

26 comments:

the southern hostess said...

I would absolutely love this. It looks so good!

Marisa Midori said...

Mmm I love coconut! I sense a new favourite breakfast food coming on.

Jenn said...

I love coconut ... coconut cupcakes are my favorite. This looks like an amazing ... and slightly less indulgent ... fix :)

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm this sounds yummy! I love the recipes in Bills! I haven't had coconut in a while... I think I'll have to make this! :)

Be sure to stop by for my 40% off handbags sale in my shop! :)
http://lisaroyblog.blogspot.com

c and d said...

this sounds amazing...i think i'm going to try this one tonight!
so good seeing you the other night, thank you for coming. xo

Calmly Chaotic said...

This looks sooo good right now! Thanks for sharing!

kate / tinywarbler said...

yum, that looks good! i'm about to try to make your recipe for chili & cheese cornbread- wish me luck!

Melissah said...

I just discovered your lovely blog. I'm just new into blogging & have just finished off my own blog on fashion & interior design.
scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com
I had a lot of fun putting it together. I would love your feedback on it if you've got a spare minute.
x
Melissah

sunday collector said...

Yay! You love Bill's too - he has best recipes!

Where My Heart Is said...

Yum - I'm in the mood for coconut. Love your weekly cooking inspiration - thanks.

Natasha said...

I must make this! I love coconut! Always enjoy your recipes and photos :) Have a great week!
Natasha xo

Donna said...

I love Bill! This is my favorite recipe! I didn't find time over the weekend to make it, but this post has reminded me I need to make it tonight. I'll slice it, and put it in the freezer, ready to toast on a grey, damp Vancouver morning.

Kristen said...

OH, i've had coconut bread and it is soooo good! what a fun, tropical post ;)

Pooch Purple Reign said...

huh, i have never thought of toasting this kind of loaf. interesting....
~laura x

Cornflakes and Honey said...

Oh this looks delish! Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures, very Cannelle et Vanille! :-)

Pinecone said...

This looks so good. I will have to give it a go.
Love the photo styling!
Ashlyn

jan said...

Yum, i can't even imagine what this would taste like, but it sounds delicious!

Pinecone Camp said...

Good to hear Bills is popular in this part of the world too!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I can only imagine how wonderful this bread would smell while baking?!! Yummm..thank you, I cannot wait to bake.

Happy Wednesday x Deb

emily said...

I LOVE COCONUT. so happy to stumble upon this post via Poppytalk.

FYI: subbing in coconut milk for milk and adding some tangerine zest. yippie!

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

I can just imagine how good you kitchen smelled on Monday!! Looks delicious.

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

Yum! I love coconut and I love bread so this is perfect!

Anonymous said...

I must try this recipe.I saw a recipe in an old Martha...but I would rather try the one you are recommending.Hers also had a pineapple jam to go with.Yum!

clippingimages said...

Good plan and preparation.


havenlife@rocketmail.com

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

Oh yummm! I'll definitely be trying this recipe...thanks for sharing Janice!

rebi said...

I love it and it's getting famous around here!
I've posted it here:
http://wachsenlassen.blogspot.com/2011/04/ein-kokosnussbrot.html
Have a nice suneday!