Monday, January 31, 2011

Baked - Velvety Beet Cupcakes. Yes, beets.






















Did you all have a nice weekend? Hope so! If you're in Vancouver, wasn't it great to see sunshine on Sunday? Ahh, I can feel spring...almost.

I came across this recipe in Chatelaine magazine. I have to say, this magazine really does have some of the best recipes....and the finished product always turns out. I love that there are beets in this chocolaty cupcake, adding folate and some fibre to this delicious treat. Does not taste "beety", if you're wondering ;)

Velvety Beet Cupcakes with Raspberry Icing - makes 12 cupcakes

1/4 frozen raspberries
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 of 398ml can of beets, rinsed, drained and patted dry
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup safflower oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 of 250g block light cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup icing sugar


























Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Measure out raspberries and leave on counter.
Line a 12 cup cupcake tin with paper cups or spray with oil. Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Puree beets in a food processor or blender. Beat sugar with oil until combined, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg, then beets and vanilla. Gradually beat in one third of flour mixture until just combined, then half of buttermilk. Repeat additions, ending with the last third of flour.
Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.




















Bake in centre of oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer, inserted in cupcakes, comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove cupcakes and place on wire rack to cool completely before icing.
To make icing:
Push raspberries through sieve, into a bowl, using the bottom of a ladle. Discard seeds. Stir in cream cheese and icing sugar until evenly mixed. Spread over cupcakes.




Have a great day! Back Wednesday.

P.S. Since I've been asked about my 2011 calendars, I've added a few more to my shop. Thanks so much to all who purchased one!







24 comments:

Marisa Midori said...

So jealous of the sunshine! We are braced for possibly the biggest snowstorm in a decade in Milwaukee. Maybe I'll stay in and bake some of these! I mean, they could as "healthy" dessert right? ;)

m.e (Cathie) said...

oh my, I HAVE to make these!!

I love the colour, the icing, the pics!
I'll let you know when I do.

thanks for sharing Janis, happy Feb to you ♥

sunday collector said...

Oh wow, they look amazing - you know how Aussie's love their beetroot too!

flwrjane said...

Crazy. Look delicious though, and I do love me some beets....

Callie Grayson said...

These look delightfully pretty and yummy! I will need to make these and soon!!

xx
callie

Lynn {hearted girl} said...

they are so pretty! like red velvet, i can imagine they'd be darn good too - especially since raspberries are involved. thanks for posting about this janis.

yes! it sure was awesome here yesterday. couldn't believe the drastic change from saturdays rain, so good. happy monday to you. ♥

Natasha said...

I love beets and I love cupcakes so I have to make these :) Beautiful photos as always.
Have a great week!
Natasha xo

Lady Grey said...

These cupcakes are sooooo pretty! You could frame that picture!
oxo

Flo said...

It"s a long time that I don't come to see you... Your photos are always so wonderful and so delicious...

Missing Goat said...

Pardon me, but did you say folate? At first I thought they were beer cupcakes - that seemed fitting!
Midge and I are coming to town tomorrow with a jam delivery. I want a cupcake please.

gbf... said...

how delicious....they look so wonderful...I would be very happy eating one of these! Dayle

Where My Heart Is said...

I just need to clarify before I make these yummy looking cupcakes - are the beets pickled or unpickled. Here is Australia we get Beetroot which is pickled but I can't imagine that in a cupcake. I don't think they are sold unpickled but I can easily steam some. I'm really keen to try the recipe.

kristin said...

wow. i love beets + i love cupcakes. i have to try these! i think i found the best pumpkin cupcakes in chatelaine, too.

lisaroyhandbags said...

Always one of my fave things about working on Chatelaine food - the triple testing of the recipes!! great way to sneak in some goodness and colour! love your vintage plate :)

jan said...

wow - love the pics - and pink icing? raspberry pink icing? you got me at pink.

christine, just bella said...

ohmygoodness gracious, beets and cupcakes together at last ;) I love beets, I love cupcakes - I think I have to try this recipe. What a great recipe find, Janis!

paula said...

ha. would have never guessed. they look delicious!

mise said...

They are beautiful, and perfectly displayed on that lovely plate.

Leigha said...

Totally trying this recipe.

Leigha

Kristen said...

i have to admit, i like this because the first image is sooo adorable! you are so good at taking pictures!!!

looks like a good recipe, too ;)

Sherman Unkefer said...

Yummy recipe and pictures! Thanks for sharing those good stuff!

Karena said...

Yum! I have always loved beets!! These cupcakes look delish!

Come and join my amazing giveaway from Splenderosa!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

Yay Janice! Just saw that you were featured on the top Canadian blogs list over at House & Home...
http://houseandhome.com/blogs/house-home-daily/design-news/great-canadian-design-blogs

Well deserved and a huge congrats :)

Martini said...

Beets?! Well, this is one cupcake that I'm going to have to try!