Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Baked


Happy hump day! Hope your week (and year!) is off to a good start.

Speaking of good starts, I'm trying to be just a touch healthier for at least the first month of 2012 ;) Cutting out gluten and a little sugar, when I can, is a start, and it needn't be dry, dusty, and boring. I found a recipe awhile back while in a waiting room. I couldn't tell you where it's from as there were too many people around to rip out the entire page, so I wrote it down. Heh, heh. These are so flipping good - I hope you give them a try!

Mini Chai Tea Muffins - makes 48 mini muffins


1/4 cup cane sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup apple butter or applesauce, unsweetened
1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup almond meal
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons unsweetened powdered cocoa
1/2 cup wheat free oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chai tea mixture - steep 4 chai tea teabags in 1/2 cup hot milk. Allow to cool.
1/2 cup diced apple


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Line a 24 cup mini muffin tin with paper liners and set aside. Heat milk and steep 4 chai tea teabags, and set aside to cool.


Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir in apple butter and honey until well combined. Stir in the flour, almond meal, flax seed, cocoa, oats, baking powder and baking soda, while slowly pouring in the chai tea mix. Stir batter until smooth. Fold in the diced apples.
Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out clean.

18 comments:

lesley [smidgebox] said...

wow, these look {and sound} amazing. definitely going to give them a try, thanks janis!

Callie Grayson said...

These I will have to make this weekend! They look so good
Xx
Callie

Vintage Home said...

yummy yummy and healthier!...also crazy about you restaurants.....gotta go!

Liza said...

I think I will try these this weekend. Thank you!

Courtney said...

I've flagged these to try very shortly. The look delicious (& I'm always looking for reasons to use my mini pan)!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

le said...

my sis is a chai tea fanatic - I'll have to pass on :) le xox

amy walters said...

Ooh....I love the way you styled these Janis! They look amazing. Must try ;)

Karena said...

Oh yes, yummy and I love Chai Tea as well!

Wishing You and Yours all the Best in 2012!

I hope you will enter my Giveaway from Serena & Lily.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

STAY AT HOME CHEF said...

These muffins look incredible! I've been experimenting with GF baking quite a bit due to my daughter's sensitivity. It's been fun experimenting with my own GF flour mix (I am currently in love with coconut flour...such great flavour). Happy New Year :)

PinkPanthress said...

I couldn't tell you where it's from as there were too many people around to rip out the entire page...

Now I'm imagining you looking left & right, spying out people to find out if you can stealthily rip the page & shove it into your bag. :D


All images are yummy, but the last one at the bottom is sooo inviting, it isn't even funny anymore! *meep*

homeboundtheheartoflife said...

oh myyyyyyyy, heaven! i love chai tea in all variations. i will try these. and your pics are gorgeous {i know i'm repeating myself}

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

These look addictive!

hardydanielle said...

Wow those look scrumptious!! Can't wait to try this recipe out :)

Ana Magdalena said...

they look sooo yummie. I made chocolate chip cupcakes for the first time ever on January first, I am becoming addicted to baking.

www.therecordologist.blogspot.com

nesting journal said...

so fun. i am going to try these. just made a whole bunch of chai tea bundles for peops as an xmas gift. its a great recipe for "real chai" that my foodie friend passed on. we should do trades. chai bundle for muffins!

Mary Hudson said...

Yum! I used to make healthy muffins all the time, now it is a rare occurrence. These look really delicious, thanks for the recipe Janis!

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

Love your gluten free recipes Janis! Have a great weekend, bowling and all! ;)

m.e (Cathie) said...

ooh i love these pics Janis! those little cupcakes must smell devine.

wishing you a wonderful weekend ♥