Thursday, January 12, 2012

Baked


Well, I completely missed Wednesday! How's your week going so far?

It was my husband's birthday yesterday so I hung with him and baked him chocolate pavlova. He's Australian, so he grew up having summertime birthdays, hence the summery pavlova ;)

Chocolate Pavlova with Raspberries - makes 4 small, or one large

4 egg whites
3/4 cup berry/caster sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

To top:
fresh raspberries
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
shaved chocolate

Preheat oven to 275f/140c. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Add sugar mixture, a tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in cocoa, balsamic vinegar, and chopped chocolate.


Spoon mixture onto baking sheet and form into mini round(ish) pavlovas. With the back of a spoon, make a little well on top of each pavlova.



Bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Turn oven off, open door a little, and allow to cool completely in oven. Should be crunchy on the outside and kind of like marshmallow inside. So good.

Top with a little whipped cream, raspberries and shaved chocolate. Enjoy!

21 comments:

amy walters said...

Ooh...my week is going great now that you've posted this beauty! Oh my goodness, this looks sooooooooo good Janis ;) I am craving a big slice...wait scratch that...the whole thing! Cheers!

Vintage Home said...

OH my lucky man to be married to you and luck man to have you make him such a yummy dessert!
(I know you are blessed to be married to him too!)
Thanks for sharing this wonderful treat!

briannelee said...

That looks so amazing. I wish I could take a big bite ;)

Enter my Leuer earring giveaway:

http://brileeo.blogspot.com/2012/01/color-crush-giveaway.html

Mary Hudson said...

Oh I love pavlova! Yumm this looks very tasty and so nice to bring a little summer into January! (a nice sunny day you had yesterday too!)

the southern hostess said...

Ah, perfection.

White Door Cream Puff said...

Amazing! Those yummies must be so much fun to eat! xox

jenniferdouglas said...

Oh Shoot, these photos and this dessert have definitely forced me to de-lurk! Raspberry Pavlova is probably one of my favourite of all time desserts...but it is still January, and I'm being so good, how can I possibly wait until Feb to make this?

Frau Haselmayer said...

I never ate or made Pavlova! I think I have to change this SOON! It looks so delicious!

PinkPanthress said...

Oh, that is definitely a great way to celebrate a birthday.
They look very delicious! :)

hardydanielle said...

Oh my that looks delicious! I wish i could eat it now!

Edins House said...

I'm ever so glad that my Fella didn't meet you before I did because he would have fallen for you - and your pavlova - HARD! Hahaha!! Good thing for me, you've shared the recipe. And we lived happily ever after :-)
Victoria

Kerry said...

I am so glad you posted this, I completely forgot about your last Pavlova posting I was dying to try!! Must try this weekend..

mise said...

Double yummy. I shall have to leave this blog post open on various computers as a hint for my own birthday.

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

oh yum! i net you had one very happy aussie hubby darl, hope he had a great bday. and hope you get to put your feet up this weekend xxx

Pinecone Camp said...

Mise, I hope you get the pavlova you so deserve! When is your birthday?
Kerry, I like the chocolate one even better ;)
Jules, feet may be up or in snowshoes. Not sure!
Victoria, you are a crazy woman!

homeboundtheheartoflife said...

Janis, this looks and sounds so great, i think i have to treat myself to this pavlova very SOON. have lovely weekend, xo helene

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

Ahhh, now this was the deliciousness you were talking about! Oh my, I will be trying this out sometime soon! Have a wonderful Sunday :)

elisa said...

i know i say this every time but THIS i have to make, it just looks like heaven. so sculptural! happy birthday to your fellow & enjoy the snow! xx

The Simply Inspired Home said...

Lucky him! Darryl my husband would love this recipe and it is a must try! Lovely photos as always.

Nette @ This Dusty House said...

Oooh... this looks so good! Definitely definitely want to make this.

Creative Coquette said...

Pavlova, yum....haven't had it in years. Since my last trip to Australia many many moons ago. Never had the chocolate version. Looks really yummy!