Thursday, July 5, 2012

Baked


Ah, hello sun! We finally seem to be getting a bit of a summer around here. How's your week been so far?

Went to see K.D. Lang last night. My husband, Robert Edmonds, designed her poster (that happens to be her profile pic on twitter), so we received a few tickets to one of her shows, here in Vancouver. I've always appreciated her talent, but I've never been a huge fan, didn't know much about her, but I am now.  Um, well, that voice. She opens her mouth and angels, butterflies and rainbows fly out of it. That woman can sing. Anyone else seen her live?

Ok, on to the chocolate ricotta cake. I had lots of ricotta in the fridge, along with some other things I wanted to use up. Here it all is, in a cake.

Flourless Chocolate Ricotta Cake - makes one 9" cake

500g (one container) ricotta
3/4 cup berry/superfine sugar
zest of 2 lemons
4 eggs, separated
250g almond meal
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly grease a 9" spring form pan and set aside. Melt chocolate, in a large heat proof bowl, over a pot of boiling water. Stir chocolate until melted. Keep the bowl on the pot of boiled water and add ricotta, sugar, almond meal, zest, and cinnamon to the melted chocolate and stir to combine. Stir in egg yolks.





In another bowl, whisk egg yolks until soft peaks form. Remove chocolate mixture from stove and gently fold in egg whites, being careful not to over mix. The batter will be quite thick. Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth out top. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool in pan before removing. You could glaze this cake, but I had a small jar of chopped pistachios, so I sprinkled them on top along with a little icing sugar.


Have a great day! Back soon....
janis

10 comments:

Sandra said...

I have never seen her live but have loved her voice. Incredible.

Lovely cake photos too of course - as usual!

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

I haven't seen her live either, but her performance of Hallelujah at the 2012 Olympics was amazing.

This dessert sounds delicious. Anything almond flour is a given, but ricotta, that I'll have to try.

lisaroyhandbags said...

Yum yum yum! So glad you're getting some sunshine!

PinkPanthress said...

Oh, this Cake sound heavenly!! :þ

Though, no glaze for me either, pistachios all the way!

Meesh@idreamofchairs.com said...

Didn't know K.D. Lang was in town. Her performance of Hallelujah at the 2010 Olympics was moving. I would love to see her perform it {barefoot} in person. :)

Chocolatey cheesiness and pistachios, Yummy!

cosplay costumes said...

The cake looks delicious!Thanks for sharing the recipe!I want to have a try!

holly@hvhinteriors said...

Also never a major fan of K D Lang, but now I will probably listen to some of her songs later today. You‘ve inspired me!

Cake looks awesome. I love recipes that are flourless and sugarless ... what do you think, could I leave the sugar out of this one??

Happy weekend :)

barbara@hodge:podge said...

Lucky you! And that cake - mmmm...have a great weekend~

Amy Walters said...

Love the poster your hubby designed! It's so fun. I've never seen KD Lang live, but I have no doubt she'd be fabulous.
I also have no doubt that this cake would be fabulous! LOL. You had me at chocolate, really ;)
Love the pistachio garnish...what a fun pop of colour!

hardydanielle said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I love ricotta and this looks like such a scrumptious recipe :)