Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hawaiian Observations


I'm back. That was one relaxing holiday! We did a lot of swimming and snorkelling, and even made a new friend (see above pic). Thanks for all your emails and comments with your tips and suggestions for what to do in Maui. Who else finds it hard to get back into the swing of things after a vacation? 

Here's a bit of what we got up to. It's kind of long, hope that's ok.....


We stayed in Kihei, just across from Kamaole Beach Park III. Kihei Caffe is a great place for breakfast. I loved their very organized chaos. Shave ice from Local Boys is a must as well!

Fruit stands are everywhere. This was my favourite. Such a sweet couple, and I loved the machete action.

Ho'okipa Beach is near the town of Paia (home of Mana, best grocery store). 

Lahaina is a very touristy spot, but fun. Really, I suppose most of Maui is pretty "touristy". A very pretty place. Spotted these dancers preparing for a luau near where we were having dinner. Heaps of shops and restaurants. Didn't really do much shopping, but did spend a fair bit of time in ABC. ;)

Maui is all about beaches, but I really loved the up country too. These pics are of Makawao. Cowboy country. We didn't have much time to spend there (it was a packed day), but we managed to try out Komodo Bakery. Please go there if you find yourself in Maui. It's a family run business that's been around for about 100 years. We loved the donut kabobs and cream puffs.  We also had lunch at Polli's, a Mexican restaurant which was also pretty great and good value too. 

The road to Hana, is a stunning drive, though a slightly daunting. You really do have to start out early, as it's a long jaunt, narrow, twisty roads, and lots to check out. The rainiest part of the island, and so lush. Loved it (even though I felt a touch car sick).

This was one of my favourite spots, and beaches, along the road to Hana. Black Sand Beach is amazing. The bright blue water against the black sand looked so beautiful. I have to say, I was happy to have my "native" shoes (a Vancouver company) on this trip. They're so comfy!

Ahh, Makena Beach. I have new respect for the ocean after I was smashed and dragged by the shore break (note sign). I was happy that, when I emerged, my bathing suit was still on me. Definitely one of the best beaches, in my books. I'd also have to add Slaughter House beach to the list too. Small, quiet and an fantastic spot to snorkel.  

Whew. That is just a tiny portion of the pics I took ;) Now I've got some catching up to do. So many blogs to read! 

Have a great day! 
janis









20 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Longish post?
I love it, so many pretty images.
And with a lovely pic of that new friend of yours! :D

Donut Kabob? Looks yummy.
I always love how english speaking people write Kebab, so cute!

This post definitely shows, that you had a great time.
Your Batteries should be up to the standard 100% I hope. ;)

talent trawl said...

hi there
{linda odd and old here}
wow fantastic holiday
fantastic photographs
hope you are happy
i have cheekily included this link
on my new link share:
seventh day creation
please take a look:

http://talenttrawl.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/seven-day-creation.html

any problems shout
and if you care please share
thanks and cheerio
x ...

***

Lady Grey said...

Oh WOW! I so want to go there. Beautiful photos.... especially that one of the green sneakers on the black sand! Looks like a truly amazing getaway.
xo

Chrissy said...

Wow, amazing! I'd love to be just there right now! Wonderful photos! xxx

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

That last beach looks great - as does the whole vacation! P.S. Always find it so hard to get back into work when I get back!

kate / tinywarbler said...

great pics janis! it looks like you guys had an amazing time. i can almost smell the plumeria and pikake.
and i want one of those donut kabobs. what?!
and that black sand looks pretty cool.

Amy Walters said...

Fantastic re-cap Janis...this made me want to go to Hawaii all the more ;)
I love the store front "K Matsui Store". Soooo charming!

Gwyn said...

Wow, gorgeous pics Janis! Looks like you had a lovely time, you desserve it :) xG

elisa said...

glorious! you made me laugh - though i've been knocked about in the ocean once or twice, enough to approach it with a lot more respect. the danger sign! so accurate! i'm glad you had so much fun. i feel like i need to devote several days just to swimming. and fruit stands! x

Holly said...

Now I want to go to Hawaii! Nice tips you offer here. If I ever go to Hawaii I'm going to check out Black Sand Beach and Komodo Bakery. Looks like it was a great trip, lovely pictures.

Welcome back!

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

Looks amazing! That black sand beach is craaazy! Glad you had a good time.

Sandra said...

We'll be there later this year and I'll definitely follow up on your recommendations! I know Kauai and Oahu really well but Maui, not so much.

There is NOTHING like Hawaii...

Veronica Roth said...

Lovely. I used to go to Maui often but haven't been back for 10 years or so. Thanks for the memory jog!

Brave Leather said...

Wow your trip looks amazing! I love all the pretty photos. Very jealous right now!

Jan Halvarson said...

i love that kihei beach - the perfect beach for swimming around all day. lovely pics.

Ash said...

Love all the photo's!! looks like a pretty great vacation!!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

oh man, that looks awesome darl. so glad you had a great break - you deserve it!

and those doughnuts??!!! ....look too good to be true!

have a great weekend darl xx

Birch + Bird said...

Gorgeous! Looks like such a fun trip! Welcome home and good luck catching up :) Would love to chat soon...will be in touch! ~Lily

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

beautiful photos! we got back from Iceland a coupla weeks ago and though the two places are at the two ends of the spectrum, the black sand beach shots here reminded us of those in Iceland with far lesser sunlight ;D

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

Janis, I have been letting my favorite blogs get away from me! I had no idea you had been to Hawaii and back. I really enjoyed seeing it through your lens. I have never been but it looks like it was dreamy!