Friday, August 10, 2012

Baked


Happy Friday! Did you have a good week?

I'm just back from my annual family camping trip, and have these "camp bars" on my mind. Wish I had one, as I'm currently on a BC ferry heading back to Vancouver, from a shoot, and all I can smell is hotdogs, or something like that (not what the doctor ordered). These are so simple to make and are easy to pack for a little camping get-away.

Camp Bars - makes about 12 bars in an 8x12 pan

5 cups puffed cereal (rice, millet, kamut, or wheat. I used millet)
1 cup brown rice flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 cup finely chopped dried fruit (I used apples, peaches, and apricot)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup almond chocolate spread (or peanut butter or almond butter)
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
chocolate chips to sprinkle on top (optional, but you should do it:) )

Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly spray an 8x12 pan with oil and line with parchment paper and set aside.



In a large bowl, mix together the fruit, flour, millet, cinnamon, walnuts and salt. Add the honey, almond chocolate spread and applesauce. Stir to combine. The mixture should be sticky and clump together nicely. If it's too crumbly, add a bit more applesauce. Spread out the mixture, evenly, in the pan, then sprinkle with chocolate chips (if using). Bake for about 20-25 or until they just come away from sides of pan. Watch that they don't burn. While warm, cut into bars and leave in pan to cool. That's it!


Have a good weekend!
janis

11 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Just one word for these... YUM!
:)

Great weekend to you, too.

Elaine - Visual Meringue said...

Yum Yum Yum! Have fun on the ferry - great day for it :)

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

omg, those look so good janis!! bet your hubby is a happy man!

have an awesome weekend xx

m.e (Cathie) said...

they look amazing!
happy weekend to you Janis

Helene @ Homebound said...

i'm just coming home from a barbecue with friends and though i'm stuffed, these look and sound amazing. i could still eat them right now. have a great weeke Janis and thanks for this lovely recipe. xx Helene

kate / tinywarbler said...

yummm, those look good! i'm a sucker for dried fruit.
( i do also like a hotdog, sorry!)

Amy Walters said...

Definitely trying this recipe! I think it pretty much combines everything I love most about "food"!

Eline said...

It looks soooo delisious!

http://notebookofstyle.blogspot.nl/

lisaroyhandbags said...

I am SO making these! Yum!

Lisa Fyfe said...

These look delicious! (I discovered your blog from the Make Pinterest group. )

electrical contractor nj said...

These are yummy recipes. I love to try this out in my kitchen, and thanks for sharing. I'll look forward to contribute a recipe. Just email me.