Thursday, August 30, 2012

Baked


I picked up some of the last of the summer fruits out there, and threw them together to make a quick and easy crumble. If it weren't for my addiction to orange zest whipped cream it would have, almost, been on the healthy heart side!

Cherry Blackberry & Blueberry Crumble - makes one 8x8 pan or 4 small ramekins

Filling:
3 cups mixed berries (if using cherries, make sure to remove the pits)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
Crumble Topping:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 oz unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup almonds or walnuts, chopped (I used almonds this time)

If you would like to add the whipped cream...
Whip up 250 ml of whipping cream with 1 tablespoon sugar, then stir in the zest of one orange. Yum.



Preheat heat oven to 375f. Apply a light spray of oil in pan or ramekins and set aside.
For the filling, mix together the berries and cherries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and orange juice. Try not to smash up berries.


In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cold butter. I used my hands to mix together until a crumbly mixture forms. Fold in the rolled oats and almonds.
Pour filling into ramekins and top with crumble topping. Bake for about 25 minutes until top is golden colour and filling is bubbling. Allow to cool before eating or, take my word for it, you will burn your tongue ;) Top with orange whipped cream, and enjoy!


What fruit combos do you lean towards? Let me know!

Have a great day. Back soon.
janis

9 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

I think the last images tells us all how yummy this was. ;)

P.S.: Fruit combos? -I love Peach & Tangerine together. Also Mango & Strawberry.

Callie Grayson said...

i love all crumbles and cobblers. strawberry rhubarb, or berries, or old fashioned peach cobbler with a bit of basil added.
mmm
love them all
xx
callie

ps seriously not liking the word verifications! they are getting harder and harder to read.... have tried 7 times so far... hopefully, this will work now "eksgider 17" i think!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I really like the idea of doing four small ones for individual servings, adds a new angle on the crumble. Fab!

christine, just bella said...

ohmy, this looks so beautiful and delicious, Janis. In my opinion anyting baked and fruity needs some whipped cream on top. I've never had orange zest whipped cream before, I'll have to try it!

Holly said...

oh my! Looks absolutely delicious! My fruit combos? Well, I eat raspberries every morning with yogurt. When I can't have them fresh, I buy them frozen - I love them so much I need to eat them year round. And at the moment, melons are really great, so we've been eating one a day!

Happy weekend to you :)

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

Oh wow. I love fruit crumbles/crisps, usually raspberry or strawberry rhubarb. All those dark berries look amazing and I have never heard of putting orange zest in whipping cream. Definitely going to have to remember that. Sounds delicious! Have a great weekend.

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

...and I just saw your photos up on Made By Girl, she's made such a beautiful home. Gorgeous photos make it that much better! :)

Amy Walters said...

Ooh...wish we lived closer to each other so you could whip me up a batch up this for breakfast this morning. My yogurt and cereal mix just didn't cut it today ;) LOL.

Danielle Hardy said...

Crumble never looked so good. mmmmmmm Now I'm hungry and it's too dark to start picking berries. SHOOT!