Monday, August 6, 2012

Weekend Observations


I hope you had a great weekend. If you're in Canada, you're probably still in weekend mode due to "civic" holidays. I'm heading out for a mini camping trip but, before I hit the road, here's a little of what my weekend looked like....

Checked out Duchesse, a lovely new "vintage and such" shop located in Chinatown. If you're in the Vancouver area, it's definitely a must see. Owners Anna McLean and Anna Maclellan, have put together a fantastic collection of vintage clothing, accessories, home wares, and furniture. The shop was designed by their friend, Ricky Alvarez. The shop itself has so many inspiring design ideas.

I love the chevron wall, made with various tones of plywood. 


A great shelving unit made of old school chairs, showcases vintage office accessories, shoes and lamps. 

Played around with a sunography kit. Have you every tried sunography? I did a little of this kind of printing as a kid. I still think it's magical. You just lay an object on top of the paper and allow to sit in full sun for about 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water and, voila, you have a print. 

Made a few origami boxes for tea lights in the back yard. I love the glow of colour. 

What did you get up to this weekend? If you're in Vancouver, did you manage to check out the Pride parade? Heard it was a good one! 

I'll be back next Friday. Until then, have a good week!

janis  


13 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Hmm... beautiful Totem!

I love the outcome of your sunography & origami projects, though I have to say that I do not really know much about the first. :) Seems like I will need to google it.

Have an awesome week.

Tan said...

Well that totem looks familiar ;)
That shop looks fantastic! It's a must go next time I'm in Van

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Love those stacked chairs as shelves, Janis! :) x

Erica said...

The chevron wall is amazing! The origami boxes are such a cheerful way to house tea lights and I love the wire ottoman they are on. The detail in it is so intricate and fun!

It was rainy here this weekend so I curled up with my puppies for some naps on the couch and did some crafting.

Laura said...

Love the origami lights! Did you just pop a tealight in there? Are you worried about the paper catching fire? And do you have a link to the pattern? Thanks. :)

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

you always find the coolest places darl, love the look of this one too!

hope the weekend was great xxx

Amy Walters said...

Oh my goodness. That home is my fav!
The chevron wall is ridiculously amazing. Love. Love. Love. Gorgeous photographs ;)

Renee said...

Wow that chevron wall is just amazing!

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

Oh, if you only knew how long it had been since I've been vintage or thrift shopping!!! I'm in need of a fix. Thanks for the intro to the new store. Have a good week Janis. :)
Rosa

Helene @ Homebound said...

that store looks incredible. love the chevron wall & the stacked chair shelf. i'm amazing that you busy bee still pull off a little diy every now and then :-) hope you had a great week so far. take care Janis.

Meesh@idreamofchairs.com said...

Great looking shop! {Enhanced by your amazing photos, of course! :) } So unique with the chevron wall and chair shelving. I so need to get myself into the city soon...

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

The chevron wall is droolworthy! and those origami boxes..you do such a fantastic job with them! V. cool.

lisaroyhandbags said...

The chevron wall is crazy awesome! Loving the sunography too. You always visit the most amazing places :)