Monday, July 12, 2010

Baked on Monday - Rustic Scones

Congrats Spain! World Cup is over for another 4 years. Why is it only every 4 years? Anyway, on to baking.

I bring you the rustic scone. I call it that because it looks a little more casual and "textured" than your regular scone (which I've yet to master, hence the "rustic" version). Having said that, it's pretty tasty and perfect to take on a camping trip, or to sit at the park and watch an impromptu game of cricket or football.

Rustic Scones - makes 18-20


 2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 oz/90g cold butter
1/4 cup berry sugar (or caster sugar)
1/2 cup chopped dried peaches
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 lightly beaten egg
1/2 cup milk


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Mix the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Rub the butter in with your fingers, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, peaches, almonds and dates and combine. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, then add the egg and
milk mixture and stir until well combined.  Place tablespoons of the mixture on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden. Try them warm with a little butter!



25 comments:

Razmataz said...

Well these look so delicious I think I will try them this afternoon. All of your recipes work out well for me. The Yo Yo's are a favourite!

kate / tinywarbler said...

they look so good! i love dried fruit and nuts.
(and i will totally make you breakfast! but only if i get some baked goods........)

Dyche Designs said...

Mmm delicious, haven't had a scone in years. :0)

briannelee said...

Happy Monday :)

mise said...

Now that's a good idea - scones with no pressing or cutting out, no cleaning the floured surface. I'm all for them (and they are all the better for the rustic look).

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Have a happy, delicious week! xx

Lemondrop Marie said...

Yum, those are almost too pretty to eat, but I would!
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Colleen said...

..as always as beautiful to eye as it is to eat!

m.e (Cathie) said...

they look great & I love that they are rustic!
I have only made scones once & they didn't look as fluffy as I'd hoped, so rustic sounds brilliant!

Tonia @Chic Modern Vintage said...

I'm so glad you stopped by today, and I'm a sad at the same time but your post here is making me hungry. I could have some of these with a nice cold cold glass of milk. I know I know you're suppose to have tea or something like that, but milk will do for me. :) Happy Monday.

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm these look good! my scones generally look pretty rustic too but I always tend to make them with raisins. I'll have to try the dried peaches and dates next time! : )

koralee said...

my my these look yummy...ok..this is what you need to do my friend...are you listening?!
Take all these amazing recipes from your Monday Posts...stick them into a book along with your amazing images..sell millions of them and live happy ever after.
I would buy many copies for friends and family alone.
xoxoxoxooxo
I will be waiting.

Dale at Hospitality Design Inspirations said...

Great blog with beautiful photos. Then again us Vancouver bloggers rock :)

the southern hostess said...

I just adore your photos. Yum!

Missing Goat said...

Yum - I heard you were at the park - lounging on the grass with your fella. I did't know you were picnicing with your scones too.

Kitty M said...

Happy Tuesday Janis - how we would love one of these in our office this afternoon with a cup of tea :-) Beautiful images as ever and I baked your raspberry and oat muffins VERY early on Saturday morning! We are being woken at 5am and 6am with little Alfie at the moment so what better time to bake :-) x

sarah, flourish design + style said...

mmm... on the baking list! xx

Melissa Blake said...

Oh, i'm sold! those look so yummy! xoxo

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

oh my oh my they look amazing!!

Torie Jayne said...

These look and sound so yummy! Have a sweet day!

Fräulein Klein said...

Oh, I have to translate your recipe!
The scones looks so delicious!!!!
Have a nice day,
Yvonne

Pretty Little World said...

What a yummy recipe, and such gorgeous pictures too!!

Lady Grey said...

these look soooo good! I like how small you made them, humble but satisfying I'm sure. Can't wait to try them!
oxo

Jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

I've just been catching up with your posts, and I just wanted to let you know I love your blog! It's gorgeous, and it makes me want to bake, bake, bake!!!

S and O said...

Yumo!
I love how nice your pictures come out, all Delicious like :D

Xoxo
Sarah