Monday, August 16, 2010

Baked on Monday - Crumpets with blackberry butter


I'm sure most of you out there have had a crumpet, but have you experienced a home made crumpet? Let's just say these are slightly time consuming to make, require patience (maybe that's just me), and I'm happy about that. If they were less time consuming and being impatient was perfectly ok,  I'd be eating a dozen a week, with loads of blackberry butter. Having said that, they are worth the time. Oh, and I suppose they are not technically "baked", so I guess these were "Cooked On Monday".

Crumpets with blackberry butter - makes about 15 (I picked up this recipe in Australia)
You will need 3 inch by 1 inch metal biscuit rings to make crumpets.


1 1/2 cups of milk
1 1/2 tsp sugar
7g sachet of dried yeast
375g/12oz all purpose flour
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Blackberry butter:

1 cup fresh blackberries
1 1/2 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

To make crumpets: Pour milk into a saucepan and heat until just warm (no warmer as it will kill the yeast). Remove from heat and add the yeast and sugar. Let stand for about 10 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, and make a well in the centre. Slowly add the milk mixture beat with electric beaters until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place for about 1-1 1/2 hours or until batter doubles in size and is full of air bubbles.
Mix the baking soda with 200ml/6 1/2 oz of water, and use electric beaters to combine with the batter. Heat a heavy based frying pan over medium heat and brush with melted butter. Grease biscuit rings and place in pan. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of batter into each ring. Cook over very low heat (crucial point!) for about 5 - 10 minutes or until the surface is full of large bubbles and a skin has formed. Loosen rings and turn over to cook other side. Remove crumpets from pan and place on a wire rack, cover with a tea towel while cooking the remaining batter. Serve fresh or toasted and top with blackberry butter. Beyond delicious. Enjoy!

To make blackberry butter: Place berries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until syrupy. Remove from heat and cool completely. Place softened butter in a bowl and whip with a spoon until creamy. Fold through the blackberry mixture to create a ripple effect. Cover and refrigerate until required.


Batter should double in size and have lots of air bubbles. 

Lots of air bubbles while cooking, is a sign that things are going well ;)




Have a lovely Monday everyone!

31 comments:

sarah, flourish design + style said...

I have the tune ' I think I love you' running through my head... xx

Kristen said...

blackberry butter — that sounds (& looks) so YUM!! I have to be honest with you and say that I've always heard about crumpets, but never knew what they were... till now ;)

the chirpy bird said...

umm, homemade crumpets?? You are my HERO!!
xo tash

Melissa Blake said...

oh, you had me at the word butter! Looks so goood!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

My partner would LOVE these - thanks for the breakfast inspiration.

christine said...

I am drooling on my keyboard over here, that blueberry butter looks absolutely heavenly.

Hope you're having a lovely Monday too... and if these crumpets are in your life I'm sure you are :)

Green Been Food said...

looks delicious! pretty pics too.

m.e (Cathie) said...

you know I have to make these NOW!

the southern hostess said...

These look so yummy. I'm on such a blackberry kick right now, and I'm always in the mood for a crumpet.

Vintage Home said...

...bake shmake......an oven a griddle...it all adds up to YUM!

Vana said...

just discovered your blog via Different Shade of Gray and am in love with it!!

Gigi said...

I need to make these!!!! I adore crumpets, even the store-bought ones, so the homemade ones will be heaven on earth for me! Love the photos, too. Thanks for the recipe, Janis!

mise said...

These still have a certain mystique for me - I used to read about them in British children's books, and never knew what they were. Now that I'm all grown-up, they still bring me back to Victorian firesides and high teas for dashing adventurers.

Fanny Nord said...

Hey !
I love your blog and you pictures.. I'll follow your blog if you want to !
And I hope that you will visit and follow my blog too.. :)
Xoxo, fanny.

Kerry said...

That looks so much better than the Weetbix I had for breakfast!

Amanda said...

We're quite fixated on crumpets in our family, but a home made one, now that must taste so delicious. And that yum blackberry butter would improve the store bought ones 100-fold!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

we have been living on crumpets this winter, but when i saw your titel i thought you were just sharing your blackberry butter recipe (and i looove BBB!), but man!! you went and MADE the crumpets too??!! seriously, you amaze me! xxx

{little.happy.things} said...

I am drooling on my keyboard as well...

spoonful said...

I never had a crumpet, but they look good!

lisaroyhandbags said...

darn! now I have to stop everything and go make these! :)

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I don't think I've ever been so happy ( :

Visual delight! Thank you as always xx

Pooch Morning Glory said...

crumpets rock...but the blackberry butter puts it over the top!
thanks
~laura

Pretty Little World said...

Oh my... I was to start my leaner eating today (a summer of little vacations has equaled lots of rich food!), but these crumpets look AMAZING!!

Le sigh, so many good things to eat!

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Mmmmm, yummy!

Saw you over on The Cross' blog today...what an exciting life you lead!

Pinecone Camp said...

If any of you lovelies try making these, please let me know how it works out. Again, patience helps ;)

Shannon, I'll have to take a look at the Cross' blog...I need a refresher on my exciting life! Ha,ha.

Shereen de Rousseau said...

OOOOHHH Janis.....me like!

Sophie said...

They sound delish! Photos are stunningly gorgoeous too! Sophie

http://wakegirls.blogspot.com

Missing Goat said...

I can't believe you made crumpets - never ever in my life would I have thought that you can just make those at home - you are amazing.

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

I have the patience of a impatient patient so guess I'll have to stick to shop bought industrialised crumpets which is a real shame as your homemades look delicious and I am crumpet queen...

Lady Grey said...

oh that is the most perfect breakfast ever!

Ashley said...

That looks so good!