Monday, August 9, 2010

Baked on Monday - Sweet Potato Biscuits


Did you all have a nice weekend? Hope so.

I have to confess, I baked these last Monday to take on my camping trip. They are the perfect camping biscuit as they go with everything and last for a few days. I used "yams" instead of the yellow sweet potatoes this time around, hence the vibrant colour!

Sweet Potato Biscuits - makes about 12-15


1 lb sweet potatoes or yams
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tblsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
8 tblsp unsalted butter, cold
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400f. Wash potatoes and, using a fork, prick the potato several times. Place on baking sheet and bake for about an hour or until soft. When cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh and press through a sieve. You should have about 1 1/4 cup of puree.



Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter until it resembles course meal. In another bowl, mix potato puree and milk, then add to dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.




Place dough on lightly floured board, knead a little, and pat out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a 2 inch round cutter. Bake on parchment paper lined baking sheet for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve warm!


Enjoy your Monday! Back on Wednesday.

20 comments:

the chirpy bird said...

Oh my goodness.... how perfect for fall??!! Oh this one's an absolute must try!
xo tash

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Oh, I so need to make these! Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely week.

Will

Plain and Joyful Living said...

yum, these look great - and healthy too. Thank you for sharing.
Warm wishes,
Tonya

Robe said...

Absolutely bloody delicious!

Flo said...

What a wonderful week-end... Camping, biscuits, family, barbecue... So great... Why mine was not like that...

our little love nest said...

Oh wow!! I want to make these!
What perfect photos! xo

Vintage Home said...

...yummy in my tummy...I should go camping with you!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

yum yum....looks so good...
love your photographs...as always...loved the pinetree branch shot...

it's all wonderful...i always enjoy my visit here at Pinecone Camp.....

kary and teddy
xxx

shellie said...

THOSE look extra extra yummy....im looking forward to making those soon!

Lady Grey said...

Incredible! And you completely took it to the next level by grilling them.
oxo

the southern hostess said...

I'm such a sucker for sweet potatoes. These look fantastic.

Dale at Hospitality Design Inspirations said...

Sounds delicious. If only I could bake and not ruin everything. Reminds me of a savoury chedder shortbread I used to have as a child...I miss those.

jan said...

Those look totally delicious. i love sweet potatoes, who knew you could make them into biscuits?

Martina said...

Hmmm, i just love simple homemade baking stuff like this - there's something about it, that promotes happieness! I bet these are delicious!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

im in love... sweet potatoe is my fav
~laura

Gina said...

oh my! my mouth is watering, i must make these, thanks for the recipe :)

<3 gina

A Perfect Peach said...

I am pregnant and sweet potatoes are a baby superfood - I am totally trying these!

Pinecone Camp said...

To all,
Just one more thing...they really do work with anything! I just made a sandwich with one of these: hard boiled egg, cheese, basil, tomato. Yum.

Aron said...

Great photos! :)

{little.happy.things} said...

You know I love your Backed on Monday, but now it's becoming a "torture" to me since I can't really cook or back with my big belly, but your photos make me very hungry! Where can I find these Sweet Potato Biscuits in NYC??