Monday, August 30, 2010

Baked on Monday - Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich


Did you all have a nice weekend? Hope so! I'm just catching up on all your fantastic comments on my last post. It seems we have a clear winner ;)

Today I bring you Chocolate Peppermint Sandwiches. They're like a more zippy Oreo...yum. This recipe is from a vintage (is 1983 considered vintage?), book by Helen Witty. I stole this book from my sister's house the other day. Not sure when I'm going to return it.

Chocolate Peppermint Sandwiches - makes about 18 sandwiches/36 wafers

For this recipe you will need 2-3 clean, small tins to use as 'molds'. I used 3 small tomato paste tins. Cut off tops and bottoms, and make sure the edges are smooth. I then used a tiny lid from a tiny jar of vegemite to 'push' the dough through.

3 squares (3 ounces) of semi sweet baking chocolate, chopped up
6 tablespoons (3/4 of a stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, well beaten
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


 Place a small bowl over a small pot of simmering water, and melt the chocolate and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Stir constantly. Set aside to cool.


In a mixing bowl, using a spoon or electric mixer, cream the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and the shortening together. Beat in the sugar, then add, one ingredient at a time, the egg, water, melted chocolate, and the vanilla. Beat until well blended.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the flour mixture thoroughly into the creamed mixture.

Use a can opener that makes a completely smooth cut, you may be able to use the one of the discs to push the dough through, depending on the type of can opener you use. If not, find a lid of a jar that fits the tin. Pack the dough firmly in the tin cans. Cover the end of each can with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for several hours, until it's very firm.

Preheat oven to 350f/180c, with oven rack in centre position.  Take one of your tin molds from the fridge, and slowly push through the tin (with tin bottom or lid) and slice off with a thin, sharp knife. I made my slices about 1/4 inch thick. I found this process thoroughly enjoyable.  I'm a baking nerd, it seems. Place each slice, on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until they are barely firm when touched lightly in the centre. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.



Peppermint buttercream filling:

1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sifted icing sugar
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

Beat butter until soft and creamy. Add sifted sugar, and beat until fluffy, then peppermint extract. I found I had to add 1 tablespoon of milk as well, as the mixture was crumbly. Icing should be thick and not runny.

Lay out half the cookies, bottom side up. Spread a generous amount of filling on each half.  Press gently to force the filling just to the edge. Start eating them right away, at this point (that's just my thought). If you must save them, let the filling set, then keep them in a covered container. They'll be fine for a few days at room temperature, or a few weeks if kept in the refrigerator. 


 At this point, you should test one to make sure it worked out. 

Yep. It did.

Back on Wednesday! Have a good day!

31 comments:

christine said...

zippy oreo!?? I think I need this in my life :)

mise said...

When it came to the point in the recipe of testing one, I felt very sad that I didn't have one to test.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Oooo these look great. Going on my to bake list! I like the can idea, too. Hope you had a lovely weekend.

Liz said...

oh my goodness, they look amazing! what could be better than a zippy oreo? haha love it!

Marisa Midori said...

That tin-method is such a genius way to make perfect round slice and bake cookies! (On a side note: I miss the good old days when Pilsbury had the slice and bake holiday cookies instead of the lame pre-sliced ones they have now).

tamara said...

Wow....I wish you had made these two weeks ago when I was still pregnant....that way I could have eaten lots of them.....they look delicious!

Callie Grayson said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmm yummy!
and yes, brilliant tin slices!!
xx
callie

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Thank you for the recipe, it looks terrific. You give such thorough instructions and photos. I can't believe 1983 is vintage...EEEEKKKKK...

Have a super Tuesday xx

kate / tinywarbler said...

yum! i want one of those, they look good. (i think i have that paper too!)

Green Been Food said...

completely delicious! i would have several esp after my dry cracker lunch today!

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Mmmmmm...I am definitely saving this recipe for the future!

Kristen said...

I think I may need to try a bite... think you could send me one in the mail? ;) Looks good!!

c and d said...

those look amazing...as always, beautiful photos. tomato paste tins, rogers bag and vegemite lids never looked so good!

Jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

Jump in your car, with those cookies, drive as fast as you can to White Rock, and Kim and I will meet you at the freeway exit ramp with coffee!!!!!

shopgirl said...

Awesome cookies! Can I have one! .-))

Hope you're having a great week!

lisaroyhandbags said...

Love the can idea! these look so good! :)

the chirpy bird said...

OMG you're a genius! Love the tin idea!
oxoxox

Angela Furlong said...

Oh dear God, how divine! I just stumbled upon your gorgeous blog via Sunday Collector... yay for me! I'm definitely giving that recipe a go.

Angela

PS - have added you to my blog roll so I can share you with all my lovely readers :)

Make mine Mid-Century said...

Thank you for your lovely comments!

The calibre of your blog, baking and photos puts my lot to shame!

You have some beautiful things goin' on here.

Cornflake said...

Wow, your photos are picture perfect. Yum, gives a whole new meaning to the word sandwich!! xx

p.s. can I ask what camera you use?

sunday collector said...

Yum, I want one now!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

im a choco-peppermint fan from way back. one of my favs
have a great day
~laura x

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

yum-o-licious..again

these look so wonderful

beautiful photographs...as always

have a great end-of-summer weekend, my friend

kary and teddy
xxx

kyliept said...

They look divine! I want some so much that I'm heading out of my office to get something sweet... right now!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Your photography is just beautiful. I really need your expert skills to shoot my place properly!

Kylie
Flying Ducks

rustandruffles said...

Wow....a woman of MANY, MANY talents!!! Looks delicious, but I have a feeling mine wouldn't turn out as great as yours....not too handy in the kitchen!
xojanis

Jen said...

That is such a cool idea of making the actual cookie part of this recipe... love lil tricks like this one!!

Missing Goat said...

this is the type of treat that would make me the happiest girl.

Vintage Home said...

...Oh my aren't you a smart girl!...love the cookie press.... I would like these with my latte!

((((Beaupourlesyeux)))) said...

Miam miam!!!!!!!!!!

Gifts of Serendipity said...

You are a G.E.N.I.U.S!
This is such a great recipe and the tin cutter....I'm rendered speechless!
x Felicity

jen said...

lovely photos.
the tin can is genius.
and the SANDWICHES!!!