Monday, August 2, 2010

Baked on Monday - Nanaimo Bars


Well, not really "baked", just cooked a little then refrigerated.

My family has made Nanaimo bars forever. They are named after the city in which they were created, decades ago. Nanaimo is located on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. I thought these bars would be the perfect BC Day Baked on Monday. Hope you like them!

Nanaimo Bars

bottom layer:                                                         
1/2 cup unsalted butter
5 tblsp sugar
5 tblsp cocoa
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped

Middle layer:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 tblsp milk
2 tblsp custard powder
2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)

Top layer:
4 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1 tblsp unsalted butter

Bottom layer: In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the cocoa powder and sugar, then gradually whisk in the beaten egg. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (1-2 mins). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped walnuts. Press mixture evenly onto the bottom of a 9x9 non-stick pan. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.

Middle layer: Beat the butter until creamy, with an electric or hand mixer.  Add the remaining ingredients and beat until mixture is smooth. Spread the filling over the bottom layer, cover, and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).

Top layer: In a heatproof bowl, melt chocolate and butter over a saucepan of simmering water. Spread the melted chocolate, evenly, over the filling and refrigerate until set. Wait until room temperature before cutting, as it could crack. Actually, who cares if it cracks? It will still be delicious.





Happy B.C. Day! I'm off camping for the next few days. It'll be nice just to be all feral, and hang around Nicola Lake.  Have a great week everyone!


24 comments:

m.e (Cathie) said...

enjoy the camping! I like how you say "all feral" (sounds very australian) and that's exactly how camping feels doesn't it :)

these bars look great & so do the gorgeous pics!
happy week to you ♥

Dyche Designs said...

Oh my, those look so darn tasty. Have fun camping.

Sherri B. said...

Yummy! Those look too good and no bake, perfect for summer....Have fun camping.

Kitty M said...

These look delish! I have been craving chocolate all day long at work and really interesting post about Vancouver Island - happy camping - have a lovely few days x

Colleen said...

...Love this post!...Nicola Lake...hey we have friends that where there all last week in the heat!....
Thanks for sharing such a B.C. moment .....

Pooch Morning Glory said...

ah, these are amazing. especially home-made. and likely the best with your secret family recipe.
i just got back from camping in the famous muskokas/haliburtons ontario
have FUN
~laura

Marisa Midori said...

Haha too perfect for BC Day! I've actually never made Nanaimo Bars, I'll have to give these a try. Have fun camping!

Madelief said...

Your nainamo bars look delicious! Enjoy your vacation!

Lieve groet, Madelief

Mary said...

Wonderful to see the recipe for Nanaimo bars as they should be made! They are one of our favourites! Enjoy your camping.

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Have a most wonderful vacation. Your Monday bakings do look delicious, every week! xx

Kerry said...

Oh crumbs...which is all would be left it that dish were here...they look fantastic. But I so shouldn't read your posts before I've had breakfast! Enjoy the camping :)

shopgirl said...

I just love Nanaimo Bars! And ignorantly never knew they originated from Nanaimo. How cool is that?! I'm originally from Vancouver, but my family and I always made trips to Nanaimo growing up; and just until recently one of my good friends lived there .

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'll definitely give it a go.

Have a great summer camping! I'm camping next week too!

xo

Lady Grey said...

I've always wanted to try making these! My husband is from Vancouver and he just adores Nanaimo bars! Thanks for the recipe : )
oxo

lisaroyhandbags said...

I've never met a Nanaimo Bar I didn't like! thanks for the recipe! Have fun camping and watch out for the bears with these delicious treats! ; )

mise said...

Ah, more custard powder and I've just bought my tin of it in readiness for one of your previous recipes. I sure wish I had the time and patience to make 3 layers. Have fun camping!

Diana said...

I actually didn't know they were named after Nanaimo in BC! I wonder if a city has ever been named after a dessert instead of the other way around?

I just got back from the island, and took the ferry from Nanaimo. Have fun camping!

Vintage Simple said...

These look completely decadent..! I hope you are having fun being feral. I saw your photo shoot over at Poppytalk through Heather - loved that, too, dear.

xoox,
-maria

the southern hostess said...

Wow! I must try these.

kate / tinywarbler said...

ummm, those look good!!!!

Johanna said...

yum! heaven!

sara said...

yum! thanks for reminding me that nanaimo bars are so good. my mom and uncle just call them 'squares'. it's funny that you don't see them in the States...maybe i'll bust some out for a potluck sometime...

the chirpy bird said...

Now, I certainly wouldn't kick these off my plate! Fabulous! Great to hear that your hubs is from Melbourne, which means you're now an honorary Australian :) always love meeting my own kind!
xo tash xo

Blissitydoodah said...

These are new to me and I'm wondering what custard powder is because I'M GONNA MAKE THESE!!!
Okay I went in search and see that vanilla pudding mix works as a substitute. :)

Sarah Jane said...

oh my goodness that sounds amazing!! so fun to discover your blog and this recipe.