Monday, October 11, 2010

Baked On Monday - Apple Butterscotch Pudding Cake


It's Thanksgiving today, so it's a long day of cooking leading up to the big feast. This cake will be part of the array of desserts. It's delicious....especially the butterscotch part. 

Apple Butterscotch Pudding Cake (jotted down from a Donna Hay magazine)
Makes one 8"x8" cake.


3 small gala apples, thinly sliced
5oz/150g softened unsalted butter
2/3 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup almond meal (finely ground almonds)
1/3 cup milk


butterscotch sauce:
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup cream 
1 1/2 oz/40g unsalted butter

To make the sauce, place the sugar and cream in a saucepan, over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved, then increase the heat to high and boil for 3 minutes. Add the butter and stir to combine. Remove from heat and pour half the sauce into a greased 8"x8" cake tin. Set aside to cool. When cooled,  top with apple slices. Keep the remaining sauce warm. 


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture and fold through with the almond meal and milk. Spoon the batter over the apples and smooth the top. Place the cake tin in another baking dish and fill with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the tin. Bake for 40 minutes. All to stand for 5 minutes then turn cake out onto a serving plate. Serve with the warm butterscotch sauce. Start eating - you will not be disappointed.




Have a lovely Monday! I'm heading to New York tomorrow, with a couple of my sisters and my mom, so I'll be back this weekend. 




29 comments:

Kristen said...

oh yum! i am going to have to share this recipe with my mom and sis. all very much apple fans :)

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

wow yummy! have a great feast tonight and fun in new york!

briannelee said...

Wow, that sounds so good. I really need to try this recipe.

lisaroyhandbags said...

wow- this looks good! I make an apple cake regularly but it doesn't have the yummiest part - the butterscotch sauce!! I'm definitely swapping out my recipe for yours!
We had our Thanksgiving dinner last night and settled for lemon pie (still great, I mean who can complain about lemon pie?)
Have a great trip to NY! :)

Marisa Midori said...

Yu-um! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and a great trip to NY!

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

darn that looks good. happy thanksgiving; mundane monday here in france...

kcn said...

ummmm....is this coming to The Seed's house today?

Vintage Home said...

yum yum!...have a great trip!

Callie Grayson said...

mmm I so love butterscotch!
xx
callie

jan said...

Oh my gosh, you are killing me! sounds delicious!

christine, just bella said...

Happy thanksgiving to you! this looks all kinds of amazing :)

mise said...

It looks good, and if it's Donna Hay it must be doubly good. Have a fine time!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

im so full from thanksgiving dinner and it still looks good :)
have a great week
~laura

Lady Grey said...

Wow! I'm definitely going to bookmark this one for next year's Thanksgiving dinner.

Gigi said...

I'm so happy to see this recipe because I've been on an apple dessert kick lately, and now I have a new one to try! This looks fantastic, Janis! Thanks for sharing it.

Maria said...

Lovely! And how do you have the time to bake every Monday? I'm super impressed and super jealous all at the same time :-)

Poor Fish Girl said...

Droooooool. I have to make this!

Irene b said...

love it! Have a nice time with you r family!

Jaclyn said...

oh my...i might have to save this recipe for my thanksgiving 'Down Under' celebration, certainly meets any plain old apple pie!

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

Beautiful, beautiful blog and I'd like to subscribe to it - but can't see an RSS or email sign up. Think of adding one?

shellie said...

looks delish...hope you are not too stuffed today!

Martina said...

Have a great time - a girl need some indulgence sometimes! We don't have thanksgiving here - but i still want to make that dessert ;)

Domestica said...

Thank you for sharing this - feeling super confident I can pull this off after a long day + impress the two men in my life - one who's 37 + one who's 7.

You Are My Fave said...

I love butterscotch. What a perfect autumn dessert.

Nat said...

I just recently started following you... absolutely love your photos and these recipes! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what kind of cream did you use for this cake?

Stephanie Ryan said...

Oh YUM! Sinful.Thanks for sharing.

Truly Smitten said...

I can feel myself getting fat just from looking at these YUMMY photos! I'm a sucker for anything apple + caramel =)

kalanicut said...

My family has a caramel apple cake that looks a lot like this. So delicious. But I hadn't even thought about adding the flavor of almonds. That has to take this to a whole new level. Need to try this recipe.

Jenn said...

This looks amazing! I am definitely trying this ASAP. Actually dessert for a dinner party next weekend ... ooh I think so!