Monday, October 25, 2010

Baked on Monday - Cheese & Chili Cornbread


I don't know why this is called cornbread when it really is more like corncake. Either way, it's delicious and moist. I find some cornbreads are kind of on the dry side, but this one is not at all dry. I love the kick of the chili too.

Cheese & Chili Cornbread - makes on 9" round cake

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 jalapeno chilies, chopped
1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, beaten


Preheat oven to 375f.
Sift the flour and baking soda into a bowl, then stir in salt, cornmeal, sugar, chilies, and cheese.


In another bowl, beat together buttermilk, melted butter and egg. Pour into the dry ingredients fold in until no flour pockets remain. Spoon batter into greased 9" round pan (or 8" square pan). Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out clean.


Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack until completely cool. I can't wait that long, and I start to eat pretty much immediately.

Perfect with coffee and post production.  I can't stop eating it. So much for sharing.

Have a lovely day! Back soon.

23 comments:

christine, just bella said...

"wait for it to cool"... doesn't anybody EVER do that?? This looks delish.

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm this looks good! great for a brunch too! :)

Dawn said...

I wouldn't wait either....it's better warm anyway:))

Looks yummy...will be making this with my next batch of chili:)

jan said...

oh yum!

birdie blue said...

your 'corncake' looks amazing.

xo
~molly

LAURA!!! said...

yuuuuummmm. that looks great

koralee said...

ok...I think I could eat the whole thing right now. Yummmmadoodles.. Thanks my friend.

c and d said...

deelish..perfect for today's weather with a big ol' pot of veggie chili. could your baking pictures possibly be getting better? didn't think it was possible. i mean it, really i do.

Callie Grayson said...

oh, that is what I call yummy comfort food!!
I will need to make that soon:)
xx
callie

Jenny Schouten Short said...

It's the cheddar and the buttermilk that makes it moist, I think. I'll bet thei sould be good with a can of hotdog chili poured over it. We'd do that in Texas
xo Jenny

shellie said...

really i try to stay away from here because you make me so hungry...im definitely going to try this one!

Jaclyn said...

somebody at work (in Sydney) told me they never had cornbread before - the horror! I will have to make this and bring it in for her, yummy.

monica said...

yum yum yum!! looks perfect!

xo
monica

Pooch Purple Reign said...

i went to a pot luck themed wild west party one time and i took a jalapeno cornbread baked and served in a cast iron frypan. it was very cool
this recipe looks amazing
~laura

Sonja said...

mmm that looks delicious!
And the photos do it justice . love them!

Karena said...

Yummmmmmy! This sounds so good!!! These are the recipes I crave this time of year!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Nell said...

That looks good. Your pictures are really cool. ps. we have mugs just like yours!! xx

Kitty M said...

Hope you are well Janis. This looks lush - I've never tried cornbread before I must add it to my list :-) x

simpledaisy said...

Yum!!! that looks delicious:)

the southern hostess said...

Cornbread is my favorite! This is a thing of beauty.

the chirpy bird said...

I'm convinced you're like my little cooking soul mate! I have to try this!
xox tash

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

I bet it was really delicious! I think it would be perfect with a big bowl of hot chili...mmmmm

Cristina said...

i have watched today a re-play of a bbc program from the summer... "it is called the great British bake off". you can catch it in bbci player and i have the feeling that you might like watching it...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00thy5q/The_Great_British_Bake_Off_Cakes/